Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, I drove through some water the other day and my engine stalled out.

Had trouble getting it to turn back over but after drying out all the electrical connections, I was able to get it to start.

Now, my problem is, the car is running very rich. I can smell the exhaust, and it barely wants to stay running. Can anyone give me some advice?

·
Asshat Patrol
1,796 Posts
Yes, K&N CAI
Geezus how much water did you go threw? 3 feet or what? If he would have sucked it up CAI you'd think he would have hydrolocked the motor. I'm going with have you done with what Kid suggested?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it was definitely poor judgement. The CAI sucked in water, but the engine stalled out prior to ingesting too much water. I was worried about hydrolock too, but I waited before trying to start and dried everything up.

The cat is shot, that needs replacement, as well as the spark plugs.

Also I am getting a code for a vacuum line.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Probably hydro locked but maf is right there and Mafs hate water so try unplugging it and see if it runs better if it does replace it

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not always when the water bleeds past the rings and pumps out the valves what's left is a bent rod or two car will still run maybe depends on situation

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chances are, you already bent a rod if water was in the cylinder. Pull ALL the plugs and turn it over a few times and see if water comes out the plug holes. Change the oil and install the plugs and hope for the best

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is running great at high rpms.

After removing the MAF, the car quit sputtering! GREAT TIP Thanks!!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really don't think my car is hydrolocked.

I plan on changing the plugs tomorrow however

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I am almost positive the car stalled after the water hit the MAF, and it died before it could ingest any water

SOOOO LUCKY.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Engine computer defaults to preset value for maf. Consequence is poor fuel economy not as much boost possible cat damage best to replace it soon also better to leave it unplugged cause preset is a safe value as bad maf is sending a bad signal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks,

The cat is shot. It rattles pretty bad.

Car needs some work.

At least I can do most of it myself.

I am just glad I didn't fry the ECM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts