Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, going to be replacing the entire front end on an 09’ 2.5 and part of that will be moving the airbag sensors from the current rad support to the new one. Obviously I don’t want to set off the airbags. Is disconnecting the battery enough or is their residual power left? At the fire Dept we were always told even the smallest of residual voltage can set off the bags so I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Thanks
Tyler

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
most procedures call for disconnecting the battery and then waiting 10 to 30 minutes after the battery is disconnected. Most airbag connectors have a special plug that shorts the 2 wires together so that there is no accidentally grounding of the connectors. I would disconnect the battery then wait 30 minutes until you disconnect the sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i am a VW, I-Car, ASE certified autobody tech that works in a VW certified bodyshop. i would ASSUME the air bags haven't been deployed in the crash and there aren't any lights on the dash. if you have lights you will need a scanner to diagnose. you can leave everything powered up when replacing the "SENSORS". just turn off the key, remove the radiator support i like to remove the T-30 headed bolt holding on the sensor with the sensor wires still attached to the sensor. it's easier to unplug the sensor that way. once you removed the radiator support unplug the sensor then transfer everything to new radiator support but DON'T plug them in. slide in the radiator & A/C condenser into the new support lower mount pegs and then plug in the sensors before you screw the mounts into the support. WHEN REPLACING JUST THE SENSORS THEY WON"T DEPLOY THE AIR BAGS. you need 2 signals to deploy the bags. 1 from the sensor and 1 from the air bag computer. the worse thing that can happen is you will get a light on the dash. if the radiator/ A/C condenser haven't been damaged you don't need to drain them to replace the radiator support on MKV jetta's. i just stick a jack under the support to hold it up. unscrew the mounts and pull the support from the mounts. once the support is removed the jack will hold up the radiator / A/C condenser. it's a easy job to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts