Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so this week I found myself a 1989 diesel golf with a 5 Spd transmission

I've been wanting a diesel Volkswagen ever since I drove around in my uncles MKIII TDI GOLF with mods
Either way I was online and found this beastly beauty she's a little rough but I'm here to put some more life back into her im hoping I didn't buy a complete lemon but this is what I can tell you until the weekend when i pick it up and bring it home.

1989 VW GOLF 1.6L Diesel with 5 Spd transmission
Use to be white but some one has taken the time to rattle can paint job it black to spruce it up..
I'm not to concerned I checked around the body to see what f my hand would go threw
It has a wooing 577,000km supposedly a recent water pump fairly good tires 8/32 I got on my my gauge has air bubbles in the fuel line when you rev it up you can see them burns a bit of oil it has smoke out the tail pipe but I think I can help that with a good tune up

Thing I worried about is that the engine lacks power and I hoping either its a slipping clutch or the air in the fuel line took it for a test drive and hardly got it to 60-70 and sputtering

Any ideas im all ears im usually a GM guy but I'm wanting to learn something new and I'm eventually leaning towards turbo diesel

Thinking about going to the scrap yard and getting or trying to find useable parts for upgrades

Turbos down pipes wheels front windshield grill. I'm also looking for some cheap coil overs for esthetic purposes then track purposes im all ears either way I have some ideas and looking for the communities thoughts on parts and repairs and whatever else any good sites for CANADIAN USERS for parts

I'm not looking to dump loads of cash but just have a sweet ride

How did I do GOLDEN or LEMON

Cheers!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ImageUploadedByAG Free1437762652.159481.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1437762667.372466.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1437762682.312031.jpg

I'm stoked just got home with the beasts I was very impressed with the truck hauling the dub down the highway realized half way that my plate for the car was sitting next to me ahahah
So I pulled off and changed that. next time I go and pick up a cheap used car I'm going to remember to bring extra jumpers battery and ether melted my cables boosting the car and trying to start it luckily the owner was home and came out with heavier cables I've never had issues boosting my truck before I was probably over loading them trying to start the dam thing

Either way I'm ready to start the turbo and manifold upgrade build a proper exhaust tune up and get the nasty smell of black ice out of it also going to redo the head liner and interior panels saw some sweet orange leather interiors online

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome aboard. That's not a bad find there. bubbles in fuel line is often either an air leak around the filter or fuel lines or algae in the tank. Check if the OEM fuel water seperator is in place mounted under the passenger side just before the rear axle i think. A bottle of diesel clean, a new fuel filter and some fuel line may do it. run the diesel clean first, then replace the filter after the old one caught the junk the chemical loosened up. As to low power and a turbo- these engines only came with 52hp new. I would not consider putting a turbo on an old engine that already has blow by. You didn't buy it for drag racing, you bought it because it is simple, noisy and runs even when every other car on the planet has died.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair enough post I have done a bit of work to the car since I've been posting a lot on instagram I forgot my login and have been busy doing car things I will change out the fuel lines because they are quite hard and hazey I've replaced the fuel filter hoping it would help it removed the bubbles it seems

I've been popping dents and repairing rust as well as replaced the windshield valley as it was rotten that was a fun 3-4week learning curve but sheet metal welding is no problem now I can't wait to have some money for exausht pieces because the current hack job has like 13-18 joints and pieces of what ever was round and metal stick welded

I've been really looking into rebuilding this block or even swapping to aaz but keeping it original would be nice with boost cause you need comfortable highway speed
But I've halted all enginebwork cause I've been greeting the body ready for safety inspection and the rotten chair cross members and holes below them won't pass

I've got sheet metal ordered but again money is the factor that settles everything I'll post some progress pictures

1 - 5 of 5 Posts