Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so since i purchased a 2001 1.8t wolfsburg (1st jetta, wanted one forever) ive had nothing but problems. ive always had a check engine light since purchased and after i assumed everything was all set and it was cleared it comes back.
anyways i test drove it and it was great with boost and no acceleration problems whatsoever. i get the vehicle and the same day the light came on (purchased as is) i was having serious lagging issues which were vacuum line issues so i replaced all of the breather hoses and had replaced the DV (divertor vavle). i also gave the car a complete tune up (plugs, ignition coils), fuel filter, air filter) the vehicle ran better but i decided to clean out the throttle body to see if it helped in anyway. i then get a P0172 system too lean code and find out the MAF sensor was bad so i had changed that as well. each time the vehicle was somewhat better but not up to full potential.
After that i recieved the P0332 knock sensor 1 circuit low so i then purchased a new one and changed that as well. car ran okay after that. i then started realizing the vehicle was struggling on cold starts extremely bad as to where it would almost stall and barely respond to acceleration. the temperature gauge no longer works now. i just changed the CTS(coolant temperature sensor) and i started it once and it was still rough(seems being pressurized the sensor should go in farther but it doesnt seem to)..im not sure what to do anymore and im not giving the "stealership" the money they believe they have earned...
idk how i forgot to add this as well but also i noticed that the overlay harness (i believe its called) off off the spark plugs bc of the heat has became stiff and cracked in numerous positions along all four plugs so i did tape them up with electrical tape and then wrapped them in heat tape. the only code i do recieve now is the p01926.
performance wise my issue is just the severe cold start problem and when i have it pegged to the floor it just isnt getting gas like it should and you can tell..

·
Insult Master
299 Posts
You probably don't need this, but if you have an Android phone (not sure if its on iPhone if you have that)....purchase Torque PRO. Buy the $25 OBDII bluetooth connection dongle off eBay and use that to monitor your car. It's right on par with professional tools and you have full customization of your gauges.

Anyway, was the turbo replaced? Injectors replaced? Maybe they're dirty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i never had the turbo replaced. i had purchased the car in California and had a tuner shop assist me with the vacuum lines and they said the only other issue i had was the DV so it was changed. i just changed the temperature sensor last night and drove the gauge actually works now but i havnt started it yet today. its funny too bc when i had purchased it at autozone all 3 available sensors looked the same but one said "gauge only" and there was another one that said "gauge & fuel injection." he told me the one i was purchasing was the gauge and fuel injection. now i dont have my scanner to reset the code yet but until that is reset the car wont recognize the new sensor, correct??

so if im still having issues after resetting the CEL and depending if anything shows up afterwards i think the next step is the fuel injectors and ill have to replace the harness from the ignition coils to the ECU.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh no kidding thats a good idea and its relatively cheap. did you have any fault codes? or did you just change it? and how about your coils? i was able to use the recall to have the dealer near me change my coils for free.

·
Asshat Patrol
1,796 Posts
idk how i forgot to add this as well but also i noticed that the overlay harness (i believe its called) off off the spark plugs bc of the heat has became stiff and cracked in numerous positions along all four plugs so i did tape them up with electrical tape and then wrapped them in heat tape.
If they are cracked they need replaced. Use VAGCOM and monitor your car it has a monitor for ignition coils and misfires.

·
Registered
777 Posts
idk how i forgot to add this as well but also i noticed that the overlay harness (i believe its called) off off the spark plugs bc of the heat has became stiff and cracked in numerous positions along all four plugs so i did tape them up with electrical tape and then wrapped them in heat tape.
If they are cracked they need replaced. Use VAGCOM and monitor your car it has a monitor for ignition coils and misfires.
yeah if the ignition harness is cracked you must replace it, Its not that expensive around 60$ the only thing is installing it which is a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
**sorry last post didnt go through and im very new to this**

the harness is in bad shape but i did by best to patch it up until i found this one.. http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--1.8T/Search/Coil_Harness/ES7679/ anyways ive been searching for a good DIY for this installation. i this will be a pain for sure. as far as these VAG-COMs go, ive seen the adaptors on ebay, what is the correct on to get?? what about the software??

·
Registered
777 Posts
**sorry last post didnt go through and im very new to this**

the harness is in bad shape but i did by best to patch it up until i found this one.. http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--1.8T/Search/Coil_Harness/ES7679/ anyways ive been searching for a good DIY for this installation. i this will be a pain for sure. as far as these VAG-COMs go, ive seen the adaptors on ebay, what is the correct on to get?? what about the software??
thats the same one i got, I also searched for a good DIY when mine was broken and found none, I just had to take it down to a shop (german shop well recognized here in florida) cuz i didn't want to connect something wrong and burn the ECU... as for instalation pretty much you have to take out the battery + intake and all of the rain tray, then go for it... when i saw it... it was a nightmare bunch of cables and stuff so I considered my 200$ on labor to be a sacrifice needed.

Vag-COMS can be purchased right there in ECStuning I got the basic one, there is one that has some extra fuctions (remember the vag-com basic is more than okay) for someone who just wants to check the codes + clear them and check temps and such.

Software? well I wouldn't touch software unless a shop does it. if you are considering a tune research into what you will like and what you need for the tune. they run for around 400, 500$ and look for a shop thats close or at least in reach of you so if you have any issues you can take the car to them.

I would recommend getting the harness done by a shop unless you are good with cars and SPecially electrical wirings (if you read the bentley manual i think they show the wiring ) but thats up to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.