Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Brake Fluid

Talking about brakes one of the most neglected parts of an auto until you feel or hear something. One of the most important system if you want to keep yourself or your car from injury or your insurance rates down.
A good test to see if you've been neglecting the maintenance of your brake system, is if your brake fluid is no longer clear. Is it tan or brown, the darker the color, is the more moisture content it contains. Any amount of moisture is bad for your brake system it causes corrosion in you brake system. In your master Cly if in the process of pumping your brake pedal for bleeding the brakes or having to step extra hard, it will run the seals across the build up of pitting, gum, varnish that's has been building up for years & damaging the master Cly seals, which will soon fail when you need to stop. It will corrode every part of the system causing premature failure. Moisture in the fluid will also cause sticking caliper pistons due to corrosion & air pockets to form in calipers or lines due to lowering the boiling point of the fluid causing air bubbles. The brake fluid is anhydrous / hygroscopic it attracts moisture from the air through plastic,rubber seals, rubber hoses & even while its at the auto parts store in a plastic container.

(" Brake fluids are by nature hygroscopic which means they absorb water from the air (humidity, like magnet attracts the metal shavings). Due to this property the brake fluid became corrosive. There is an increasing awareness of the dangers of water induced corrosion in the modern brake/traction/dynamic stability control systems.")
Taken from > http://techmax.ca/brake_fluid_service.htm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Bake Fluid

VEERRY timely thread
I have a 98 VR6 and want to flush the brakes at home. how much brake fluid do I need to fill it back up. right now I have 2 small bottles. Im afraid of starting and needing more when im ready to finish.haha

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Best to have a quart of brake fluid if you remove the reservoir have an extra pint around. Always have water near when dealing with brake fluid, if you spill some BF on your paint stop immediately & flush area with water dont wipe till you have flushed with water you may wipe off your paint. If water is more than 5 seconds away then its best to wipe it off as soon as possible then flush with water.
When I flush the brake system, I first remove the fluid from reservoir with a turkey baster or something similar. If the fluid is very dark there will be a sludge in the reservoir thats very hard to remove.
The best way to remove the sludge is to remove the reservoir off the master cyl & clean it the best you can. Its a bit hard to remove the reservoir it has a small screw on the outside @ the bottom of the reservoir & you have to pry it off, the wider the pry device the less likely you will damage it.
I use hot soapy water & a small brush, then rinse with clean water,wipe the inside with paper towels then spray with brake cleaner. There is a small tube that extrudes from the reservoir that is hard to clean if you bend the small straw from the brake cleaner just rite it can be cleaned. Before placing reservoir back on cyl place cap on reservoir, pour some fluid in from the bottom & rinse reservoir from any water or brake clean & dump out the BF now its ready to be placed on.
Bleeding procedure there are all kinds of helpful tools to make this safer & easier. But I use the old school method it takes two people, before starting set up the procedure tell the person that will be pushing the pedal not to go beyond the normal travel of regular braking, because it may damage the master cyl seals.
The person @ the bleeder is always in control of the process. Before opening the bleeder its best to tell them to pump the pedal 3-4 times & hold it with light to medium pressure, then open the bleeder, then only pressing to normal brake pedal travel. Once you have open the bleeder have him hold the pedal to the bottom of normal travel you can set up a guide to help him determine travel, then close the bleeder & repeat. That will make it a slow process but it works good.
You may try gravity bleeding first this may take a few hrs. Remove a bleeder screw one at a time & let that wheel drip while you keep reservoir full it is a very slow process. While you have the bleeder screw off take the time & clean it sometimes if they dont have the rubber cap on & they will clog up with dirt.
If you would like to press the pedal all the way to the floor, its best to replace the master cyl this will speed the process. If maintenance has been neglected & the fluid has a very dark color ( like Coke ) & over 100K miles its best to replace it, you are driving on borrowed time your life & car are worth more than the Cyl will cost. It sometimes gives no warning when it will fail, most likely will fail in a hard braking condition. Wear safety glasses, rubber gloves to protect your eyes & skin. :eek:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Found some U tube vids that may be helpful, not all info on these vids is correct but it will give you a visual which will help. I dont recommend removing 4 wheels & placing car on jack stand, this is a recipe for disaster. Ive had cars do well on jack stands then for some reason the car will slide a 1/4 inch then hit the floor in less than one second. So play it save whenever you are under the car or near a car with a wheel off.
Never let children near or play around a car your working on or moving always do a walk around the car when children are present in the area. If you have someone guiding you the better.

My wife & I have seen a child get up under the rear of a suv. While his parents are saying their good byes to the family that was leaving, the kid unnoticed got up under the suv placed his head up against the rear tire trying to stop them from leaving. Fortunately we were driving by at that moment & saw beyond belief what was about to expire.
I laid into the horn as the backup lights came on, which made the driver stop & wave. At that moment the child thinking he had been found got up from under the suv. Again unnoticed on the right rear side of the suv & ran up to the front of the suv where everybody was standing waving good bye at the suv. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bearing01#p/u/6/LH3mkxeHWmU
http://www.youtube.com/user/bearing01#p/u/7/piHWkU5ckAk

·
Registered
47 Posts

N_FLAMES

Thanks very much. this is my first car i started doin my own work on. did pads and rotors but i think the fluid is ooold

1 - 6 of 6 Posts