Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of those rubber pull to release knobs broke off. Then in an attempt to get the seat down, the other knob on the other side broke off too. GRRRR!!!! WTF!?! Anybody have a fix or even a McGeiver solution for this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
...me three! So I forget exactly how I did mine but now that I'm thinking about it I recall stabbing a small flathead screwdriver into the side of one and prying it up until I could grab it with my fingers. While this actually might work for you it also depends on how brittle the rubbery plastic is; it may break further.

The other suggestion I was going to mention was to use a screw. Scew a screw into the rubber just like you'd use a corkscrew on a bottle of wine. ;)
Again the only thing is you'll have to be careful depending on how bad the rubber is it might split or break some more. Drilling a small pilot hole (you can probably just use a tiny drill bit and do it by hand) might also be helpful; again same way you'd pilot hole a piece of lumber you were about to put a screw into. It'll give the screw threads some relief and the rubber hooefully won't split.

Hope this helps. On a side note have you found replacement parts? I ended up tying a piece of twine to mine and using that as the pull. Of course after a few pulls the crappy twine broke and left me a stub of a string. Luckily I have a subwoofer against the back seat so I don't really use it folded down.

-Al C.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I created a hook from a hanger and pulled the arm. It's really easy. I can take a picture of my tool when i get home if you'd like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally got to making my little hook tool (Just needs to be a 90 degree hook to catch the hook plate inside and lift it). You have to push any remaining piece of pull knob blocking the hole that prohibits you from inserting the hook tool. Once cleared, insert the tool and (in my case), turn the hook towards the inside of the vehicle and try to catch that hook plate about 5" down. Got both sides done in a couple minutes. I guess, if I got good at it, I would call it good and go with that. BUt....I'm too anal, so i got the bottom half of the pull knob, with the part number on it!!!! (1H0-885-683). Yeah Baby!!! I ordered 2 new ones immediately!! straight from VW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used this trick with MUCH success thanks to your post! I now have functional seat pulls once again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts