Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

As I just purchased my Jetta used, it has the Viper 7153 remote start installed.
I know the proper start sequence, for when I need to start via remote.

However, I know with the key having the chip in it... the system will not keep the car running.. It will crank, but that is it.

If I keep the key in the ignition, everything works just fine.

There are two wires going around the actual ignition switch, to represent the correct code ( so I assume ) when the actual key has been removed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
For remote start to work properly, you would have to "break" the key to get the chip and have it glued near the ignition for the remote to work. The issue with this, is if someone does break into your car, it will now be easy for them to steal it. You could also glue your spare key near the ignition too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The wire loop around the key cylinder is the transmission antenna for the chip bypass module. There are not any bypass modules i know of that don't need the original key inside them in order to work so if you follow the wires back you should see two boxes, one large and one small, the smaller one likely has the key inside of it (there should be about 5-6 wires coming out of the small box). If you can get your hands on the smaller box and unplug it check for a key inside. If the words "556U" are stamped on the box it definitely has a key in it. Open the box and remove the key, use it to start the car (assuming nobody destroyed the key shaft).

- If the key from the box starts the car then the issue is either with the box (556U) or the antenna position.
- If the key doesn't start the car or the car cranks over but doesnt catch then your key is no good and will have to be replaced.
- If the module doesnt have 556U written on it or has more than 5 wires connected then get the model number off of it and post it here so i can try to advise you further.
- If someone destroyed the key shaft then i'll have to teach you the "tinfoil trick" in order to check the validity of the key in the box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Ijible

Thanks for this info..

I will be looking for that small box this weekend and I will let you know what I happen to find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ijible,

I found the 556U box, and the key inside of it does start the car.
I guess that I need a new 556U box then?
Or is there a way to reprogram this box?? I do see a jumper inside of there.. just wondering.

All of you help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you! Ok, our next step is to "test" the wiring up to the box. Set up your remote starter using the start sequence but don't leave the car, do all the steps from the driver's seat until the car is ready to remote start. Make sure not to accidentally press or touch anything that would kick your starter out of ready mode that includes, breaks, clutch, opening and closing doors, hood, trunk, setting off the alarm, or lowering the E-brake. your car should be in the exact state that you would leave it in the streets; so hood and doors closed.

Then, being careful not to set off the alarm with your movements, put the head of the 556U key against the ignition barrel, don't insert the key just hold the key backwards in your hand and put the plastic end against your ignition. While in the driver's seat, with the starter ready to start and the key held up to the ignition remote start the car. Does it start?

I realize this is redundant, you already did it with the other key but humor me..

If everything starte and works fine then we need to check the power going to the 556U. If memory serves there should be two wire harnesses coming out of the 556U box, one containing three or four wires, and the other containing only two for the antenna wire. We meed to test the 3 wire harness, using a multimeter, NOT A TEST LIGHT, chcek the red wire, this should be a constant 12V (main power), then check the resistance of the black wire to ground, should be close to 0 ohms to gnd. Finally check the blue wire, this is gonna be tricky because the remote starter only turns this wire to ground while its remote starting so you'll need to test this using the above remote starting steps.

Please do this and tell me what you find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took a quick look at the 556U manual, there are 3 wires on the antenna connector and six on the power connector but all the other details i gave you are accurate. Counting the wires will just help you identify the harnesses, all the colors and testing procedures are same as i mentioned.

As for the jumper, make sure its in the 60 winding position. That is if you hold the box with the jumper facing you the plastic jumper should be on the right side, it should come this way from factory so think hard before changing its position. if you do accidentally change it then don't worry no damage will happen but the code wont be transferred with enough intensity to read propperly at your ignition antenna.

if the tests above are all successful and you tested the three wires i mentioned, then put the key in the box making sure that the head of the key, which contains the chip is under the winding housing and the key shaft is on that black foam pad. Put the box back together making sure not to let the key move around. Plug both harnesses back in and dismantle your steering cowl cause now we have to move the antenna position, this can be a a finicky *****.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ijible,

I will look into this on the weekend... as I need to replace the door latch anyhow...
The extra key is in the box nice and tight... I already checked that out last weekend.
I will also "humor" you ... and do as you suggested with testing the ohm resistance etc...
I will take the 556U box to the cylinder and see what happens.. I will also check the wire loop around the ignition... Maybe that is the whole problem?? Who knows...

I did test the key in the box with the remote start, (while still in the ignition) and it did start... So with the process of stupidity ( I meant elimination ) the 556U box, or antenna placement is at fault.

Where can I find a copy of the 556U manual?? any ideas?

I will keep you posted..
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok great. Most often it's the antenna sliding out of place. Try moving the antenna around the key cylinder and make sure it's wrapped fully around the key cylinder as well. Once you find the sweet spot use electrical tape to hold it in place. Testing the box is easy just plug it in and ground out the blue wire. Should hear a click.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts