Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in need of a new exhaust system on account of snowy weather(salt) and poor roads has made my stock exhaust "street tuned" in other words i have a big hole in my muffler. I have a 2.0 and ive searched the forums and saw some common brands that were used for the 2.0s and im currently debating between magnaflow, megan, and ansa. I have gone on youtube to get a general idea as to how these sound, but its hard to compare when they're on different vehicles and the different quality of video equipment used.

The megan exhaust is 2.5 in piping from what i've read on here is that 2.25 if the optimal size for na cars would this decrease my performance tremendously or would it be about the same as stock or a slight gain and before anyone says don't mod a 2.slow for performance in not looking to build a race car here just replacing a piece that needs to be replaced might as well as replace it with something that can handle the weather and give me some nice sound but be relatively quiet while cruising.

On ecs tuning it says the ansa exhaust which is 2.25 in fits only pre 2003 models is this true or does it just mean some slight modifications are needed. My car is a 2004.

The magnaflow is about 150 dollars more is there an actual reason for this performance wise or quality wise or would i just be paying more for the name. And please explain your reasons, because "yeah its better you should get it" isn't very helpful.

If anyone has any other suggestions of exhaust brands to possibly check out or any info on the ones i listed it would be appreciated. Another common one i looked at was borla but i wasn't too impressed. Im only interested in cat back stainless steel systems no point in rusting out another aluminum one. And sorry if this is too close to another topic thread but i searched and didn't find my specific questions answered.

·
Jetta Junkie Moderator
2,922 Posts
well, first off if ur goin with a complete system 2 1/4 would be sufficient for a 2.0 NA car. u can go 2 1/2 but not any bigger. now that bein said, yea exhaust is one of the parts that u can say u get what u pay for, but ill try to help out and still give my opinion. first, magnaflow sounds great and id say is more rust resistant imo. alil pricey and ur payin for the name somewhat, same as borla too. ive heard good things about megan racing, 1.8T's and VR6's use them alot. not familiar with ansa, so i cant say either way. so id say go with whatever fits the budget easier between magnaflow or megan racing, if thats the systems u were lookin at. stainless systems are the best, but most expensive. now if its an aluminized system (cheaper price) and since it seems u live in a bad weather/road conditions, look in to some VHT Flameproof paint. its a protective coating in a spray rattle can for the exhaust system to help avoid rust on the outside, cant help from the inside tho lol. itll withstand high temps. u can spray the whole system, if u do this, id recommend spraying it b4 u install the exhaust. hope this helps, if not just ask again lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah so i've heard that you don't want to go to big since you do need back pressure. I must say though i'm kinda disappointed with this forum right now theres like 40 views and only one reply haha but thanks for the input but yeah the megan and ansa were about the same it was like 5 dollars difference but 150 more for the magnaflow so im going to probably focus my search on the megan and magnaflow and then try to decide

·
Jetta Junkie Moderator
2,922 Posts
well dont get discouraged by how many viewed it and not posted. non-members can view it, but not post on the topic. this is a bigger forum, but id rather wait for better advice/input then somethin that doesnt help lol. plus alot of our regular's have work or school and or kids lol, so sometimes it will take longer for a response. like i said stainless is better, but pricier. so if u wanna go aluminized to save some money, just use that vht flameproof coating to help it last longer. anymore questions just ask, im sure other member's will respond then too. gl.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have been looking at exhausts myself aswell. i live in clagary where winters are harsh aswell, lotsa salt and stuff like that. i was looking at the magnaflow exhausts, its kinda expensive but not too bad, look around, different sites and places have lower prices, i have found the magnaflow for 500 or so ( if i remember correctly) on ebay. Im thinking of going with the magnaflow because it has the chrome plated muffler so it wont rust through. thats my 2 bits, donno if this helps but yeah. another plus, i love the way it sounds, especially on the vr6! nice deep tone. im sure it sounds good on the 2.0 aswell.

·
JettaJunkie Infant..lol
2,608 Posts
ok well heres my advice. go custom! i have a 2.5" custom stainless steel exhaust on my car, and i just bought a borla muffler to put on the end. bought my muffler used for $40 (well worth the 40 when its like over 100 brand new) and i got my exhaust custom made at a local shop for 175. all in all my whole custom borla stainless steel exhaust cost me $215ish. i love it, my $.02. btw, you safe with 2.5 on a 2.0 (what i did, no power loss, lil gain) but no bigger

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks for that but yeah im not too concerned with power gain since i know im not going anywhere fast haha but id still like to hold on to all the little power i have and a little extra would be nice since id like to be able to get out of the way of something if need be

1 - 7 of 7 Posts