Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well first off i have the 1999.5 jetta, i bought a second switchblade key of ebay, i could only find a locksmith to cut it and not program it. my vw dealership said they could program it for 60 dollars. the key is the old oval type key, my question is does anybody know of a different way to program the remote part. i only have one key for the car.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Nope, its specific to your ECU The only other way to get away with an unprogrammed key is to get your ECU immobilized by APR or Unitronics. However, this service costs $100-$150 to perform.

·
I think it'll work...
388 Posts
There may be a way to program the new remote yourself

When I purchased a new key to my fiancé's '98 Beetle (it may have the same Immobilizer as you), the dealership told me that they could do it for a charge, but it was fairly easy to do yourself. There were instructions on how to program it in the owner's manual for the car.

It's worth a try...

"If you have two (or more) working keys of your car, then you also the option of doing it without using a VAG-COM. Just do the following:
1. Insert any one of the working keys into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
2. Using any of the remaining keys, manually lock your car from the outside.
3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
4. Press either button again once.
5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed"

Thread is here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1216091

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Hah no ****... Good find man!

Didn't think it was possible w/o a VAG. However, I dunno about that immobilizer... I think it may have changed with body styles, but I could be wrong.

[good post]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does anyone know if that works with Jetta's also and whats an immobilezer? Because the dealership wants to charge like 60-70 bucks to program your remote and if thats all it takes then WOW ridick

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeeeeeeeeeeees after i got it cut i did what you said and it worked, i saw it in the owners manual but for some reason i was confused and though i would need 3 keys to do it that way. anyway saved myself 60 bucks! thanks!

·
I think it'll work...
388 Posts
Woo Hoo!

Glad I could help... I didn't believe it when my buddy at the dealership told it to me either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
will this work on a 2002, cuae i just talked to the dealer and they want 160 for just the flat key to be cut and programed.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
This thread is awesome. Adding it to the n00b guide!

·
Registered
2 Posts
any one got a vag commander software i only need the software ive gotten the cable because i would like to program my keys !!! to my ignition got a 2000 jetta gls

1 - 11 of 11 Posts