Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that awesome AEG engine failed in my 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L, 5spd. I swapped in a rebuilt cylinder head and a new block but it's an AVH one. It cranks but will not start. I found out the throttle body is different for the AVH but is there anyway around buying a new throttle body? If not, what else do I need to make this car run again? I have the cable and VAG-COM but I haven't had a chance to mess with it, I was hoping maybe I could clear the programming or edit it to work correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

New parts already installed:
-Ignition coil
-spark plugs and wires
-battery

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
first off are you sure your getting spark? also are you sure your getting fuel? I just don't see the throttle body being the hole issue the engine doesn't turn over

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine turns over and all but doesn't actually start. I never had a problem with any part of the fuel system before and the plugs, wires, and coil are new. I have a bad feeling that the drive by cable throttle body from the AEG one doesn't work with the AVH block that uses the electronic one.

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
The engine turns over and all but doesn't actually start. I never had a problem with any part of the fuel system before and the plugs, wires, and coil are new. I have a bad feeling that the drive by cable throttle body from the AEG one doesn't work with the AVH block that uses the electronic one.
did you switch ecu's?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Negative. I'm sure I missed a ton of the little things that I need to switch...It seems like I need to do a conversion from drive by wire to drive by cable :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a trip to the junkyard for me. I got the block from a private seller and obviously didn't research enough before swapping it in. Everything is there so let's hope I can find the ECU and wiring harness at Pick N' Pull. With that ECU though do you know if it will work with the DBC TB?

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
Looks like a trip to the junkyard for me. I got the block from a private seller and obviously didn't research enough before swapping it in. Everything is there so let's hope I can find the ECU and wiring harness at Pick N' Pull. With that ECU though do you know if it will work with the DBC TB?
I would say no but im not sure

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's my first instinct also. Well, after I find parts and get a minute to try a few things on it I'll let you know how it goes....let's hope it doesn't burst into flames...

·
Senior citizen member
670 Posts
Ok so your car was originally aeg and you swapped an avh right?

All you have to do is keep everything from the aeg, the throttle body definitely has to be from the aeg as is a drive by cable vs dbw on avh. Everything else should be the same.

Try checking if you are actually getting spark and fuel when it cranks then let us know

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Ok so your car was originally aeg and you swapped an avh right?

All you have to do is keep everything from the aeg, the throttle body definitely has to be from the aeg as is a drive by cable vs dbw on avh. Everything else should be the same.

Try checking if you are actually getting spark and fuel when it cranks then let us know
I would try this first. Then VagCom the car and see whats going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm about to try the VAG-COM on it (program kept crashing so I'm loading it on another machine) but I also see the ignition coil is different for the AVH versus the AEG. Would I need the AVH coil? I'm going to double check spark here in a few and I kept everything, I prefer drive by cable anyways. Any idea if I need to switch the engine speed sensor from the AEG to the AVH? Just another thought I was going to try....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My thought is, "Duh, the older ECU would need that engine speed sensor on the engine to read it correctly" But, does anyone know how the oil squirters work on the AVH? I haven't researched it just yet :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put the old ESS on, no dice. Turns and turns but doesn't start. Ran VAG-COM control module finder and got this:

Address 01: Engine
Protocol: KW1281
Controller: 06A 906 018 JJ
Component: 2.0l R4/2V MOTR HS V01
Coding: 00031
Shop #: WSC 09144

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1J0 907 379 P
Component: ABS 20 IE CAN 0001
Coding: 03504
Shop #: WSC 00066

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17: Instruments
Controller: 1J0 920 900 J
Component: A4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V54
Coding: 07242
Shop #: WSC 00050

Address 19: CAN Gateway
Controller: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00006

Address 25: Immobilizer
Controller: Bit teA dre sst
Component: e 17 eingeben

Address 33: OBD-II
Protocol: ????
Controller: OBD-II/EOBD, Protocol Keyword: $0808

Address 3F: Unknown Address: 3F
Controller:

Address 46: Central Conv.
Controller: 1J0 959 799 AJ
Component: 61 Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Coding: 04096

Haven't had a chance to research any of it just yet tough...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeap, it didn't pull any error codes for some odd reason...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, finally pulled an error code. Verified fuel and everything is connected etc. The code is P0322 Ignition/dist Engine Speed sensor low input circuit. I saw a few things saying this could be the crankshaft position sensor also but that is brand new so I'm ruling it out. The ignition coil is also new so I'm thinking I need to replace the Engine Speed sensor. I swapped in the one from the AEG block, but can but the one that was on the AVH back on or buy a new one. Question is though, when I swap these, or anything, do I need to put the engine at TDC before I crank it up again?? I'm thinking I do, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks gents.

·
Senior citizen member
670 Posts
Alright, finally pulled an error code. Verified fuel and everything is connected etc. The code is P0322 Ignition/dist Engine Speed sensor low input circuit. I saw a few things saying this could be the crankshaft position sensor also but that is brand new so I'm ruling it out. The ignition coil is also new so I'm thinking I need to replace the Engine Speed sensor. I swapped in the one from the AEG block, but can but the one that was on the AVH back on or buy a new one. Question is though, when I swap these, or anything, do I need to put the engine at TDC before I crank it up again?? I'm thinking I do, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks gents.
The engine speed sensor IS the crankshaft position sensor. I would try swapping the sensors back and forth with the avh sensor and see if something changes.

I hate to say this but you got a much bigger problem than you can imagine, try swapping the sensor and see if that works first

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy derp....I meant the CAMSHAFT position sensor is new. Too much troubleshooting in my head had me all mixed up...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No dice. Looks like i need to get the ECU and wiring harness from a VW that came with an AVH, have mine flashed, or.....light the car on fire and make s'mores.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts