Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sometimes happens that when i start my 2001 jetta 1.8turbo, i get a screeching/grinding noise that sounds like an engine would when you turn the key to the stat position after the engine is already on. it's not any belts, the sound is different. I also notice that the car sometimes idles a bit (+/-25 rpm) funny. And sometimes it gets that compressor "kicking-in" sudden dip while its in idle. I have a manual transmission, how might the flywheel be the cause of the sound? It doesn't sound like metal grinding. I think it's my starter. could it just be the solenoid? Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
It sometimes happens that when i start my 2001 jetta 1.8turbo, i get a screeching/grinding noise that sounds like an engine would when you turn the key to the stat position after the engine is already on. it's not any belts, the sound is different. I also notice that the car sometimes idles a bit (+/-25 rpm) funny. And sometimes it gets that compressor "kicking-in" sudden dip while its in idle. I have a manual transmission, how might the flywheel be the cause of the sound? It doesn't sound like metal grinding. I think it's my starter. could it just be the solenoid? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Thats exactly what it is. Some earlier model starter motors in the 1.8T's stick a little after the engine has started, regardless of key position. Theres a DIY on how to fix it on www.vwvortex.com, you can get a new starter, or wait and see if it goes away.

The compressor ''kick in'' at idle is normal.. It's the SAI (secondary air injection). At idle on cold starts, your air/fuel mixture is slightly rich in order to warm it up. This air injection leans out the mixture to let your spark plugs know their working. It'll mess with your vacuum and RPM's slightly.

If its got a droaning noise, its becuase the two halves of the SAI motor are seperating. Another common problm... But harmless unless it comes completely apart, which is very rare. So, you can find the fix for that on vortex as well as the fix for the starter problem, or just deal with it... My car droans when the SAI is activated, and I dont even recognize it anymore lol.

Hope this helps man.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 4 the tip. i'm deff. gonna instal a new starter.

Just today i had the thing die on me. i was going along and as soon as i took my foot off the gas the rpm dropped to almost nothing, bounced back up to like 1500 then dropped again and die. i drove like this till i got to a gas station. turned it on started up & promptly died. played that game a few times. starter made noise after it turned over 2-3/5-6 times. finally got the thing to run. idle was choppy. put my foot on the gas - bounced and died. finally got it running, put it in gear...took my foot off gas and u guessed it, it died. finally got it to stay alive. but it was touchy all the way home. stopped along the way cause i had to and it took about 3 tries to get it running again.
thoughts????
Thank you

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Oh man... Could be a number of things, anywhere from being a dirty ass throttle body, to a simple vacuum leak. I'd check for vac leaks first. If you can get it to advanced/autozone, scan it. But hopefully its just a vacuum leak...

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
How to fix the starter screech, as well as another one on how to silence your secondary air injection system.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
No prob. man, I hope it works for ya!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a new starter just for Sh*ts & Giggles, pulled the old one out yesterday and did the greasin' up. let's hope it works!! if not i have the new one on deck.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
I like your plan lol.

Thats usually what I do with parts... Especially since my GLI is not only my project, but my daily driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts