Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all-
I've got a 1996 Jetta, automatic transmission, with green dash and console lighting.
The bulb went out in the A/T shifter console, and I can't find a replacement.
I've looked high and low for this thing and even the dealer says he can only get a red version.
I'm looking for either the whole bulb holder and bulb combo (which is part number 1H0 927 149 or 1H2 927 149 K25 depending on where you look), or just the bulb (pictured here>)
Unfortunately, the bulb only has the maker ALBA on it, no serial no.
Any takers?

IMG_7116.JPG IMG_7120.JPG

·
Registered
984 Posts
i dont think the dealership sells those, better just find one at a local junkyard for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I had some time today to work on this, and was impatient to wait for a replies, so I came up with my own fix.

This will probably work for any mini-bulb you can't find a replacement for.

I had already taken the bulb out of the bulb holder by sliding an inner cuff out of the top of the holder, and then pushing the bulb out the top from the bottom.
If you look at the picture of the bulb I took out of the holder, it has essentially 3 parts:
1) the bulb.
I got a new bulb at the dealer for $5. This was not an exact replacement, but had the marking "12/1.2" on the side. I assume any mini-bulb would work, but the one I used seems to be 12V 1.2W. Any bare mini-bulb would probably work
2) the white plastic barrel the bulb sits in
3) 2 metal blades poking out of the bottom

Steps: you'll need 2 pairs of pliers
1) I used some regular pliers to pull the two metal blades out the bottom of the white plastic barrel while holding the body of the barrel in some other pliers.
2) I pulled out the old bulb with the same pliers. The bulb glass broke, so then I just pulled on the filament wires to get the rest of the bulb out. Make sure all the broken glass is out of the barrel.
3) I bent the wires on the new bulb down so they were sticking out of the down from the new bulb instead of being wrapped on the base of the bulb as it had come.
4) I inserted the new bulb into the barrel with the wires sticking into the 2 holes where the blades insert. The wires were too short to actually stick out the bottom of the barrel, but were in deep enough that I know they would make contact with the blades when I put them back in. Don't worry if the bulb seems taller than the original, there will be plenty of room in the bulb holder.
5) I inserted the blades back into the bottom of the barrel as far as they would go with my fingers (1-2mm). This was enough to hold the bulb in place while I held the barrel with the pliers again and more forcefully repositioned the blades deeper into the barrel (another 1-2mm) with the other pliers.

Bingo! New bulb in old barrel with old blades. I dropped that new bulb back in the old holder, plugged it in, and presto!
Hope this helps someone.;D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts