Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my mk4 jetta back from the tranny shop and now the shifting is stiff through all gears. I am wondering if anyone might know how to fix this. I just had the transmission and clutch replaced.

·
Registered
176 Posts
check your linkage adjustment.

search for a diy if you dont know how.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the linkage and it all is good. Even checked the shifter without the linkage attached to see if the shifter needed to be greased with no luck. Guess i will flush the tranny and put in different gear oil.

·
Senior citizen member
670 Posts
Got my mk4 jetta back from the tranny shop and now the shifting is stiff through all gears. I am wondering if anyone might know how to fix this. I just had the transmission and clutch replaced.
I would talk to the shop first and let them know of whats going on, maybe they can fix it for free since you just got work done there and its not working like it should

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I notice that when I shift from reverse to first occasionally it grinds like the clutch isn't in. I think I'm going to take it in and have the slave, and the lines flushed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blew out the slave drain plug few months ago coming off of the freeway! had to push my car like a 1/4 mile so that i didnt get a ticket from a cop. he just sat there and watched! I am still having a problem with the tranny even with the flush. Its is a weird problem, if i try to throw it into 1st while still rolling backwards it grinds; if I dont downshift into 2nd coming to a light, it wont go into first gear w/out shifting throught the gears (e.g. shift to third then second then first); occasionally 3rd and 4th will grind if i and running through the gears too quickly (freeway on ramps). If i had the money to do another tranny i would for now i just putt around town and use my passat to do anything requiring me to drive more than five minutes.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Blew out the slave drain plug few months ago coming off of the freeway! had to push my car like a 1/4 mile so that i didnt get a ticket from a cop. he just sat there and watched! I am still having a problem with the tranny even with the flush. Its is a weird problem, if i try to throw it into 1st while still rolling backwards it grinds; if I dont downshift into 2nd coming to a light, it wont go into first gear w/out shifting throught the gears (e.g. shift to third then second then first); occasionally 3rd and 4th will grind if i and running through the gears too quickly (freeway on ramps). If i had the money to do another tranny i would for now i just putt around town and use my passat to do anything requiring me to drive more than five minutes.
Is it still stiff to shift? If so, is it still stiff when the car is off?

You could also just pressure bleed the clutch to see if it will help it engage better. When the transmission shop put in the new transmission, did they put in a new clutch kit too?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the stiffness went away after the slave was fixed, but the shifting issues have remained. I am leaning towards the clutch or the syncros being messed up. both of which mean i need to take the tranny out. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to figure out what is the problem before removing the transmission.
Yes a new cluch and flywheel were installed.

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
the stiffness went away after the slave was fixed, but the shifting issues have remained. I am leaning towards the clutch or the syncros being messed up. both of which mean i need to take the tranny out. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to figure out what is the problem before removing the transmission.
Yes a new cluch and flywheel were installed.
Did you use the clutch alignment tool when installing it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about not getting back on this. The problem still exists. All part were used to put the clutch in and I have even had the cable end and shift cables replaced. Most my gears are now smooth but first is still not wanting to engage until I go from third, to second, then into first. Sometimes it won’t even engaged that way. It’s been to the shop twice with no help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts