Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I try to start my 82 diesel jetta it's cranks great but it takes awhile to catch. It only catches with full throttle down and the cold start knob pulled which I hadn't had to use before. It was starting fine but after I did some work on the cooling system (new h20 pump, thermostat, thermo switch and some hoses) it's been having a hard time getting started. That doesn't make any sense to me unless the new h2o pump is making it work a bit harder. When it starts it smokes white quite a bit for awhile which isn't new. It starts easier when it's still warm but it still smokes but not quite as much. I'll let the car warm up for about 5 min before driving off and the smoke will finally stop smoking out the neighborhood on my way out. From my research on here it sounds like it might be out of time and the white smoke is the unburned fuel. I have quit a few rust holes in the tail pipe under the car which I plan to get fixed here in the next few days. Would that effect anything too much? I wouldn't think that would make too big of a difference. One more new thing is that it seems to run out of power while at idle or low power. I was idling to warm up in the morning and heard the engine bogging down. I had to rev the engine to keep it from dieing and it smoked like crazy. Once I got going it was fine. That also happened when driving slow down a dirt road the other day as well. Going real slow in 1st it started bogging down and I had to rev it then also. Those are the only 2 times that has happened. I'm not sure if these problems have anything to do with each other. I'm mostly worried about getting it starting better before winter. I'm weary to mess with the timing because Nothing with the timing has been touched for it to just become out of time all of a sudden. Sorry for the rant. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Diesels dont jump(belt) timing very offten because if you get the belt timing off on these the pistons will hit the valves(A MUST CHANGE THE TIMING BELT EVERY 50K), they are a injection pump timing, the injection pump has 3 bolts holding it to its bracket you can loosen these and the pump will move like 1/4 each way this advances and retards the fuel pump timing or how soon or late it gets fuel, moving it towards the engine is advance...away is retard...this also encreases the amount of fuel it gets also...i would check the glow plugs they make fast glow and slow glow plugs fast being they glow up quicker they have the relay to match.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also sticking/Bad injectors will cause it to have large mount of fuel dumping in one of the cylinders causing (raw)diesel white smoke

1 - 3 of 3 Posts