Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a set of Verde Saga 18" wheels for my 2014 Jetta TDi. I have Hankook V2 tires, new, with Nitrogen. After installation my steering wheel shakes at speeds over 70. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
are they brand new wheels or aftermarket? did you get them done at a shop or did you just buy them from someone and install them yourself? do the wheels take cone or ball seat lugs? are you using spacers on the wheels?

a lot of questions need to be answered before the exact problem can be pinpointed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new, aftermarket wheels/tires from CARid. They came with cone seat lugs and 66.6 OD / 57.1 ID hub centric rings. I installed at home then after I realized the shaking, I had the wheels re-balanced at a shop. shaking is better but still shakes

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
So it could either the wheel were not balanced correctly or an issue with the hub centric rings, I would contact CARid and see what the next step from them would be, something is not correct with the wheels

I saw issues with the cheaper aftermarket wheel's and tire packages that companies would put out, one in particular would be the wheels shaking at 50MPH+ and it ended up being the hub centric rings were incorrect, the car was in and out of the shop trying different hub centric rings until the customer finally decided to ditch the wheels and stick with the stock ones, I would start by contacting CARid and see how they would like to proceed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have already ordered new, aluminum hub centric rings to see if that helps. Also I am taking it to a different wheel shop tomorrow to see if the first shop made mistakes. What is your honest take on Verde brand wheels? CARid was no help either, they suggested it might be something to do with the car. however, it did not shake at all before the aftermarket wheels they sold me

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
are they brand new wheels or aftermarket? did you get them done at a shop or did you just buy them from someone and install them yourself? do the wheels take cone or ball seat lugs? are you using spacers on the wheels?

a lot of questions need to be answered before the exact problem can be pinpointed
OMG! The title of the message says "steering wheel shake after getting aftermarket wheels"

I see "aftermarket wheels" in that, dunno what you saw...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue when i installed aftermarket wheels on my 2013 TDi. Hub centric rims should solve the problem (my shaking problem was solved after the tire shop guy put hub rings). Maybe your hub rings are wrong size causing the problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
OMG! The title of the message says "steering wheel shake after getting aftermarket wheels"

I see "aftermarket wheels" in that, dunno what you saw...
Ok my bad I should have said second hand, it's been a long week, and it's only Wednesday :|

Sent from my intergalactic portal device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couldn't reply earlier, login problems :(

Shaky steering at high speeds means lack of balance. Since it occurs only at 70 (mph I assume) it is not a major one, and it is probably on one or both front wheels. No matter how un-balanced the wheels are you will not feel anything until 40-50 mph. I assume you checked the correct tire pressure. Wheels and tires do not have even mass distribution, a fraction of an ounce can make a great effect, since it's far from the center (axle). Remember, centrifuge force depends on mass and the square of the speed, i.e. at 70mph it is 4 times bigger than at 35mph!
You mentioned hubs, if they are not centered they can influence the vibration, if they are not perfectly parallel, it is worse. Before re-balancing the wheels again, check the wheels: lift the car one wheel at the time and rotate it and observe if the wheel is not oval or drift in-out (check at the rim level, not the rubber, the tire is always deformed). And pay attention to the interior face of the wheel, not only the exterior. Also, while you do it, see if there is any play with the wheel standing still above the ground, with two hands at 3 & 9 o'clock try to shake the wheel, than repeat for 6 & 12 o'clock. It is a good test for bearings, joints and bushing.

As for negative effects of "wobbling", they will be costly in time: wheel bearings, bushings, shock absorbers, joints, they will all have shorter life.

PS: A word for all the "opinion givers" on this site: I am just sharing my experience here, I kinda had them all, good and bad, I learned from my mistakes and others'. I had balanced wheels, un-balanced wheels, exploding tires, new tires, tires with 0 thread, wheels "flying" off my car, I pulled a nail out of my tire only to stick it back and drive another 800 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts