Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Broke as hell
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been on the forums for almost a year now and I never really officially introduced my car to you guys! About time.

So last May when I graduated high school, my parents helped me pick up a car for showing them I'm not completely useless, woo

Picked up the car in VA and drove it back up to the Ocean State. Really tough call because there was a black VR6 automatic on the lot as well with similar miles and pricing, but call it ironic cause instead of the VR, I chose the 5 speed 2.slow just to have a manual. Little did I realize how grateful my wallet is nowadays because of this :)

Anyways on to the car.
READER SATISFACTION NOTICE
You should probably listen to this and pretend you're in my car to see how cool I am.

The way it came:

The day I bought her (thanks tedd britt)

I didn't really do much at first, but I did poke around the car because it had a few aftermarket pieces I had no idea about. (that's what happens when dad picks the car up, my fault)

Anyways, it had an aftermarket Megan Racing exhaust (I don't know jack about exhaust systems but I know its the full system, not just a muffler), really old beat up lowering springs (previous owner didn't replace the stock rear struts, just the coils...really messed up there), and I believe just a new intake (but correct me if I'm wrong)

More pics:

2.slow

Just a new air filter i believe

old beat up front suspension

new alternator woo

racing exhaust (lol the irony)

What I have done so far:

The first thing I did was figure out what look I sort of wanted for the whole car. I can tell you I'm a long way and many $$$s away from it, but I am happy with the start. I guess it could best be summed up as imagining a GLI with steelies, e codes, and textured rubs. Some might say that sounds odd, but that's ok cause your Jetta isn't mine :)

I started out simple, just painting the grill black (made me feel so cool)

After the grill was done, it was about the end of the summer and unfortunately my parents didn't let me take the MKIV down to South Carolina when I went to college. Therefore I only saw it over Thanksgiving, winter break, and spring break. (Now I have it full time though) Not much modding happened until I received more money from working back home plus xmas and my birthday. Once I could afford it, I pulled the trigger on DEPO E-codes as well as some GLI tails.

Anyways, everything was running smoothly until around new years. Now, don't flame me because I know my car isn't THAT low, but it's low enough to be a problem in my town (Marc1987 can back me up) especially on the exact street I live on...bummer. Anyways, so I've bottomed out a few times and such, but one day I was being an idiot. I was going a reasonable speed (like 10-15mph), and there was a speedbump, and I was stupid and didn't slow down enough. Like clockwork, the shitty shocks didn't compress well. I would like to add here that the skid plate had been removed when I got the car. So I bottomed out and the knock actually broke one and stripped another hydraulic bolt in my engine mounts! Wonderful...

Fail

But thank god, the car was basically fine. That brings me to where I am now.

What I plan on doing:

My to-do list is mostly cosmetic as personally, I don't see a point, financially or performance-wise to get any bolt-ons. Maybe a turbo if the car sticks around long enough. Maybe.

Here's what I got though:

Either a 4motion or GLI lip (probably 4motion cause I can't afford all the GLI skirts/fenders and just a GLI lip looks odd IMHO)
Smoked fender and bumper markers
Tow hitch license plate mount
Raceland coilovers (I can be high in my town, low in SC :D) or possibly a used GLI suspension (opinions?)
Possibly that New MK4 center console, I hate my cupholders
Short shifter of some kind (maybe out of a junked TT or something)
16' Steelies, with caps (hard to explain Steel wheel caps
Euro rubstrips all around

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated. Took me a year but here it is guys!

·
Broke as hell
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marc1987 said:
Where in ri are you? You told me before but I forgot lol
In Westerly. I live on Shore Rd. by Ocean View Highway, one of those roads to Watch Hill. I saw you drive through downtown the other day, by the way. I didn't recognize you at first cause I never checked out your updated pics and I hadn't seen the black avus's yet. Threw me for a loop lol. BTW when I was reading your post, you said you had a set of 15' steelies? You don't happen to have those still do you :D

I'm also considering a europlate but I don't really know what I want on it. Maybe just "BVVVVVVVV" cause that's the noise my car makes, and I want the hearing impaired to enjoy it too :p

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Coming along nicely :).

I sent this thru the Intranet™

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks guys. Does anyone happen to know any good junkyards for VAG parts in the southern RI area? Mainly looking for a set of 16' steels off a beetle/jetta/whatever

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Lol I have a set of steelies but your really far away :/

I sent this thru the Intranet™

·
lowness and dopeness
4,818 Posts
Canal st is the worst.. I'm pretty low but i dont bottom out to often, just front lip and hit frame. Have you seen me driving lately? And have I waved at you? I think I seen ya..

Sent from my r00ted payph0ne using Tapatalk 2

·
Broke as hell
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: trim arrived, stripped the car down this afternoon after work and got it all painted. I'm gonna let it dry overnight and reassemble tomorrow. This came perfectly in sync with my car's oil change so it wouldnt be doing much besides sitting around anyways till monday

Update...the first coat turned out nicely. Going to put on another tomorrow for good measure as i can still see hints on primer in some spots. Very happy with the Rustoleum bedliner I used. Kind of pissed I already used 2 and need a 3rd, but I'm not half-assing this. I think the trim will really set this car off once it has the wheels.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts