Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Broke as hell
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is finally! I got it registered yesterday and new tires and brakes are going on today. After that, maintenance is minimal.

So, about a week and a half ago, I was putting along in my 2.slow and I passed by a 2003 24v GLI in Galactic Blue for sale. The 2.0 as some of you know has been giving me hell with an elusive axle/drivetrain issue that was repaired twice (once it damaged my gearbox) and by the third time, I was done with it. I couldn't turn on my AC without the car slowing down like 5mph lol. I loved my 2.0, it was my first car and my first Jetta and I learned a lot of very useful things that will benefit this car. The 2.0 was the perfect beginners VW to learn about the important stuff on :)

That being said, this GLI takes the cake. I looked some numbers and stock hp is coming in at around 200, compared to the weenie 115hp of my GLS. The 6th gear is fun too :D My 2.0's struts were blown, so the GLI suspension makes this thing feel like a Lincoln Town Car. It would make sense to me since the car's heavier, but the steering seems to be slightly less agile than the 2.0, but like i said I'm sure that's because of the extra weight.

For the sake of the longevity of this car, I'm going to keep engine modding simple, for now. It's a daily, and the stock power is redonkulous for me (anything after a 2.0 feels like more than enough power lol), but that being said, Definitely expect a SRI and an exhaust setup (I'm thinking Borla catback or Magnaflow cause those 2 sound the schmexiest IMHO) As for other stuff, I have a stage 2 refresh and brand new raceland ultimos sitting at home so there's my low. It will be a while though, as I'm gonna get a feel for the roads around Columbia (where I go to college) as there are mad railroad crossings, shitty pavement, and lots of steep angles :(

Anyways, right now I've got plans for the following

-E-codes (check)
-Facelift GLI tails (check)
-Short shift (6 speed woo!)
-Spacers for my montes once the low comes
-Ultimos
-debating painting rubs again (I think the contrast would be better on Galactic Blue and not Atlantic Bue (my previous car) but I'm thinking on that one for a while
-flat black OEM badged grille
-GLI grille badge
-debadge trunk
-stickerzzzz 0_O

That's all just off the top of my head. This list will grow as my want for more grows :)

Ok, picture dump time.

The first time I laid eyes on her. My car in the background starts to feel sad, cause it knows somethings going on :/

Bye bye 2.0 :( at the dealer before I left last weekend.

Right after title was signed to me. First time driving the car under my ownership. It was pretty sweet haha

Threw in my GLI Tails

Stock headlights

I found the cool kid Euro section of the Wal-Mart parking lot. There was a nice MKV and that Bimmer hangin out, so I wanted to feel like I fit in now that theres not a golf cart under the hood :)

I love my new fat tires (one inch wider hehe)

Put in my old E-codes. I love the brighter blue. The contrast with the black looks much better than on my previous MK4. I fucked up and dropped one of the screws into the car and its got a skid plate so not getting that for a while lol. I tried using a similar sized machine screw but i just broke the mount off instead :mad: anyone have any suggestions to fixing this? i have 3 of the screws secured so its not a huge deal, but for the sake of a hole that a screws supposed to be in, what could i do?

PO's stickers. I actually had plans for a 7Ply sticker like on my old car, but seeing as this one has a way cooler one, I'm just keeping it (bought, not built lol) That RVCA sticker is going bye bye. That silver sticker of the dude in the suit is actually a memorial sticker for a dubber named Alexi from RI who passed away a while back. Again, it's the PO's sticker, but I'm keeping it, because I was going to do similar, and I might as well spread the RI dublove down south. Gotta order my new JJ decal now, also recieving my "Prestige Worldwide" sticker soon.

Interior is good. I really love the Blue/Black/Grey color scheme of this car. Looks so much cleaner than the Navy/Tan/Black of the 2.0

I think Ian would like this car :)

Idk wtf its supposed to look like or how it relates to a pina colada scent but whatever

I peed myself when I saw my new cupholders. **** you drippy radio cupholder you aren't missed.

Another little thing I was pleased about. It has the 3 spoke steering wheel like on my 2.0. I drove my friends passat with the 4 spoke and it feels like hard plastic. This one is very comfortable.

If you guys can't tell I really hate this car and want my 2.0 with the fucked axle back :)

I fixed the pictures, please don't hurt me!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think your car is too sexy for pics as I can't see em. They show up as broken images.

I sent this thru the Intranet™

·
Broke as hell
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Edit: pics are fixed, day is saved

Anyways, a few of the issues I previously mentioned:

-One of the two horns that are supposed to sound. I think its the lower note one because my horn is laughable (normal horn on weenie car, weenie horn on badass car, tough decision lol)
-Driver's door lock is somehow not recieving power (aka typical stuff, car will relock after 30 seconds unless started,even if door is open, lights don't go on when door is open, it wont lock unless key in door, but alarm still works so i dont really care) although odd part is after i drove to new london and back in a thunderstorm, the door started working. for how long? we shall see, but im happy its not completely dead.
-scrapes all around body, i dont care
-i broke one of the top headlight screw mounts cause i dropped the original into the car and the replacement was big enough to fool me into screwing it in until it was too late and broke :/ I REALLY want to fix this asap. anyone have any suggestions?
-The trunk, due to a little moped incident which was responsible for many of the scrapes and dings, isn't lined up correctly. I'll post picslater, but what I mean is that when i close it, the top left corner of the trunk rubs with the unibody. the right side also sits slightly higher than the unibody when closed and the left slightly lower. MY guess is fucked up hinges, any ideas? regardless, some WD40 helped a little,but really looking to avoid metal fatigue. This is my daily, and I need the trunk every day, so this is pretty imperative you could say.
-just needs a lot of WD40 in all those types of places
center concole hinges arebusted, but the PO rigged a magnet latch to the front so it stays put so whatever.
-One of the bigger issues for obvious safety reasons. I am gonna need advice on fixing the drivers seat track. my seats are manual and the latch on the front of the seat that lets you slide forward or backward isnt catching in any of the positions except for about 3 of them. Luckily one of them is the one i use, but it takes a few minutes of jiggling and wiggling to get the latch to secure safely. I learned that the hard way when i accelerated after adjusting the seat and i slid back. Crapped me pants i did.

off topic but the window and sunroof motors are creepily fast and new and not crappy. its like the dude never opened or closed his windows once. i find that odd but no complaints. theres also tint too so thats a plus.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
Yes lookin real good the front door is most likely the door lock control module there very typical on the mk4s

Sent from space through a satellite

·
Broke as hell
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thats exactly it, the only reason i know this is because i was really bored a few weeks ago and reading the DIY section, and i read the whole door lock thing. When i saw the signs i knew immediately and was just like crap, it seems like its gonna be a PITA to fix, but i can still activate my alarm and lock manually so I may just say **** it

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
yeah thats exactly it, the only reason i know this is because i was really bored a few weeks ago and reading the DIY section, and i read the whole door lock thing. When i saw the signs i knew immediately and was just like crap, it seems like its gonna be a PITA to fix, but i can still activate my alarm and lock manually so I may just say **** it
Yep mines been like that for 5 years and I haven't gotten around to fixing it haha

Sent from space through a satellite

·
Super Moderator
14,456 Posts
So how you liking the power difference from your 2.0 to 24v?

·
Broke as hell
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So how you liking the power difference from your 2.0 to 24v?
This is gonna sound absurd but it actually took me quite a while to get used to the car. I learned stick on an air cooled 1.6 and then my last was only 115hp so a fast manual is a new concept to me. she shifts like butter, and has a much nicer powerband to drive through. and the stock pipes arent loud but they still sound pretty sexy! All-in-all this car has more wear and tear to show for its age, but it is mechanically in much better shape than my last one. the only thing i really have on my mind is my low. i am seriously debating keeping stock height for now, the roads in columbia arent just shitty roads, they literally destroy your car no matter what. i pass 6 RR crossings on my way to work 2 miles from my house. i sriously have driving ptsd. the back country roads are amazing, but as far as in the city, say bye bye to your oil pan if you aint careful :/ and sorry for such a late response! ive been o busy with moving into my apartment and starting classes again and finding a job i just have had no time ormoney to do anything to my baby. i got herwashed yesterday, and im hoping to do some debadge today and maybe fool around with those eurotails i have. i also have been contemplating walking up to the owner of this 20th in my complex who i think just "has it" and offer him my wheels for the aristos. that would be sweet.

OT i think that sans the wheels my old car def looked like it shouldve had more power. but i really am digging the sleeper feel of this gli, since it doesnt have the skirts or anything...looks like a plain old jetta. i was playing with a 328 on a long stretch of empty highway a few nights ago, and i really love how effortless this thing is to just move forward :)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts