Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rubbing everywhere and i'm not even that low so everyones telling me take out my sway bar. can someone explain to me how to take it out easily?
I would get a sway bar made for lowering but i need a timing belt so i cant afford it yet the removal is just temporary

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
I've never done it, but it can't be too difficult -- but it looks like a real PITA (even with a lift and especially so without one) and the end result si that your handling will be beyond lousy.

How low are you? How many inches from the ground to the top of your wheel arch? Mike

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
unbolt the bolts from the lower control arms, take a cutting wheel, and cut the loops on both ends out. and you will be good.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never done it, but it can't be too difficult -- but it looks like a real PITA (even with a lift and especially so without one) and the end result si that your handling will be beyond lousy.

How low are you? How many inches from the ground to the top of your wheel arch? Mike
im tucked in the back but i have gap in the front because i was already rubbing too much to go lower i got 8mm spacers but i still need to take the sway bar out

·
Banned
1,761 Posts

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
i mean, if im not all about performance will it matter? i dont like whip it aorund corners haha
no. just cut it out, our cars are not race cars, and the dont need them.

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
i mean, if im not all about performance will it matter? i dont like whip it aorund corners haha
You may not whip around corners or do any rallying with your car, but your performance will still be affected. If you ever have to swerve suddenly (to avoid a car coming out of a driveway and a kid chasing a ball into the street, for example) you might have issues, particularly if the road is wet or slick. Additionally, if you're in a wreck and your insurance company discovers you don't have a sway bar, they'll probably deny the claim and drop you. Just an FYI, Mike

·
Master Necromancer
1,822 Posts
sorry for the thread jack but could anyone show me where said sway bar is? Idk if the PO cut it out or what but i can't find 1.

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
^^^ Good question, lol.

Here's another one: why are you asking? Is your handling mushy and wallowy? Is your car slammed (the only pseudo-legitimate reason for someone to remove it)? Mike

·
lownslow
1,581 Posts
honestly i didnt see that much of a difference after i cut mine out. just unbolt it and then cut it right in the middle and pull from each end. dont mess with dropping the sub frame...too much hassle lol. if you just cant live with the way it handles, you can buy a h&r swaybar from ECS or wherever else they're sold.

·
Box One Collective
1,666 Posts
if you're in a wreck and your insurance company discovers you don't have a sway bar, they'll probably deny the claim and drop you. Just an FYI, Mike
Just for this reason alone I would't want to run without one. Imagine this happening and someone gets hurt and you're at fault. The insurance company decides not to cover you, I think you'd be paying out more then the $300 an aftermarket sb costs. And I'm thinkin vw didnt put a stock swaybar in just for shits & giggles... haha but this is probably my age showing so...

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
its a very bad idea to cut out your sway bar or removing it. your playing with your life and everyone else's. get it replaced with after market one or just dont drop so low. like jman said they didnt put it there just for decoration, every single car in the world has one.

it may just only help with body lean but lets say your on the highway going 70-75 and you have to change lanes aggressively or you just change lanes to fast bi accident by not having that sway bar you car will continue to lean and make your car swerve in the lane change direction. which could make you loose control or sideswipe somebody. sway bars also affect your steering, and are used to effect understeer or oversteer.

just like every one says dont do this with coils or dont do this with shocks. these are one of those DONT DO's

·
125whp/125wtrq
2,077 Posts
because they dont know any better. i would want to drive or be in a car that dosent have all of its suspension parts. but quick movements will affect your car.

and yea i know alot of other people do it jeeps like to remove there bars for some reason.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts