Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was contemplating doing the swiss cheese airbox mod where you take a drill bit and drill a bunch of good sized holes into the bottom of your airbox, and i just wanted to ask the Jetta community before doing something potentially stupid. Thanks to all who respond to this message.

·
Registered
387 Posts
what difference does this mod actually make? ive seen a bunch of people do it

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i heard all it does is give you a meaner sound and rumble under the hood i'm currently taking my airbox out as we speak :D

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Mostly just for sound, but if you put a k&n filter in you get a small gain. Its better than wasting the money on a short ram, and many people are too scared to run true CAI's for some reason.

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
I've gotten worse gas mileage but I took out a piece that covers a hole on the side of the airbox. It has a trap door on it that im assuming only opens under high throttle. I guess its from constantly letting hot air into the intake. I tired looking for the piece to reinstall it but of course my parents always have to put their hands on **** that ain't theirs so im stuck paying extra for gas until I buy a new intake or another stock box.

Sent with my Atrix from da Matrix!

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Its better than wasting the money on a short ram, and many people are too scared to run true CAI's for some reason.
Nut up or shut up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its better than wasting the money on a short ram, and many people are too scared to run true CAI's for some reason.
I dont know why people are so scared of it. I have one with a massive filter on it and the other day i drove threw a monsoon and my engine was as dry as a bone. but only difference ive noticed between CAI and SRI is that after driving for an hour i still have the same power as when i started up my car and the engine bay was still cool

·
GLI-VR6
730 Posts
I dont know why people are so scared of it. I have one with a massive filter on it and the other day i drove threw a monsoon and my engine was as dry as a bone. but only difference ive noticed between CAI and SRI is that after driving for an hour i still have the same power as when i started up my car and the engine bay was still cool
Umm CAI and SRI propose isn't to cool the engine bay...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Umm CAI and SRI propose isn't to cool the engine bay...
Of course haha, i guess i said that weird. with the SRI you feel a noticeable drop in power when your engine bay gets hot and you start sucking super hot air, then with the CAI your always sucking 80 degree air (like today) instead of 190ish

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did it, I felt a bit of power but I think it was just in my head. Worst of all is that now it makes a whistling noise. It was pretty funny one day, I was driving by these people in a parking lot and had to pass them again to exit the lot and one of them were like , "how big is your turbo it is hella loud!" I laughed and drove away. It was a funny day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sound underneath my hood sounds pretty legit. I could post a video showing how it sounds if people want? i used a 7/8 spade bit and put holes through the bottom, i haven't noticed any change in gas mileage but then again i haven't filled my tank and ran it to empty yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts