Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I came to this forum because I do not have an extensive knowledge of vehicles and don't want to be taken advantage of. I've had my 2001 jetta since '07 and it's really been a great car with no major issues. Recently my check engine light and temp light came on in my car with no other signs of mechanical issues. Approx 3 weeks later I noticed that my car began to run hot so I took it to the VW dealerships service dept to get it repaired. I was told that my car needed a new timing belt (check engine light) as well as a new thermostat housing and engine flush (temp light). My car was ready in 2 days and I paid $1,300. Two days later my temp light came on again while I was on the highway and within a matter of minutes my car started smoking heavily and I was on the side of the road. I had my car towed back to the dealership where they told me that my water pump had gone bad and that they wouldn't have had any way of knowing this while they were doing the repair. Initially they insisted that they were not responsible but upon my resistance they finally and very reluctantly agreed to pay $500 and replace the water pump. When the finally called 2 days later to tell me my car was ready they informed that they didn't think it was my water pump, but they replaced it anyway along with the freeze plug free of charge however they made sure that I knew it was $700 worth of work. They assured me that they had done a pressure test on the car and that I wouldn't have any more over heating issues. They also informed me that this work would not be under warranty and would not even give me an itemization of the repairs that were done. 2 days later my check engine is now back on and I am beyond frustrated. The service rep that has been "helping" me at the dealership isn't very accomodating and slow to admit any fault and i'm not sure what to do moving forward. I feel like i've paid $1300 for nothing. Any advice or suggestions would be so appreciated.

·
Asshat Patrol
1,796 Posts
Sounds like it's time to talk to the better business bureau as to the dealer..

Find someone with a VAGCOM scanner and see what the codes are or even goto advance or someone and see what codes pop up. As with them doing the timing belt being a VW dealership instantly should have known to do the water pump at the same time. Did they replace your thermostat or just the housing?? lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts