Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

The Question/Answer Thread

85K views 623 replies 102 participants last post by  sweetkraut 
#1 ·
Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen, to the Question/Answer Thread. This thread is an attempt to allow a member of the forum to ask questions without clogging the forum with single answer question threads.

This thread is not only for those who need questions answered however. This needs to be an entire forum effort in order to get all questions answered. This way, those who ask don't resort to starting a new thread when if it goes unanswered.

RULES:
1. If you have a question, anything at all, please first use the search fuction. You never know what you may find. Also check out the n00b guides in the MkIII and MkIV sections.

2. If you cannot find the answer to your question, then you may post it here. Post here instead of making a new thread, this way it prevents thread after thread of the same questions (ie. Which brand of coilovers should I get?! Oh em gee theirs so manny idk wich 1's to gett!).

3. If you know an answer to a question, please quote the question and provide the answer.

4. This is meant to be on topic, so please try to keep it to car questions.

See less See more
#15 ·
I got one for ya guys, I forget what the thing is called but under the hood the black cloth thingy (I completely forget what it's called) I took it off while painting and should I put it back on or should I keep it off, I've heard people taking it off say the engine is louder and what not, but wanted to see if I should bother to put it back on

#17 ·
I don't really like these kinds of threads, for the people that actually utilize the search feature they're a pain. Their ends up being all kinds of random information and nobody's willing to sort threw it and see if their questions been answered.

I personally only look for problem specific threads they tend to be more helpful... Look at it this way, 1 question and many answers or many question in a thread like this with only a few answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
See, there are already plenty of threads with many many answers. These threads can be easily found if you know how to use the search function. Basically the purpose of this thread is to provide answers to single answer questions.

I'll use MkiVdub's question as an example. Does he need to widen the GLI valence if he keeps his stock 1.8T tip? Yes.

It's as simple as that. There's no need for further explanation, and there's no need for a new thread to be made for such a simple answer to a question.

Don't take this the wrong way, I understand exactly what you're saying, and you're right. But this was more intended for questions that have only one answer, and don't need much explanation. I hope that makes sense.

#19 ·
Alright I got one ill just start here.
Whenever stopped at a redlight i smell gas really strong, it seems to be getting worse. It has been doing this for a little while i cant quite figure it out I never see any gas on the ground or anything. It also seems like im not getting as good of fuel mileage as I was a few months ago. Has anyone ever encountered this?

#23 ·
If it is the cat, in no way do i have the money to spend on a new one, so I may just remove it. What does it take to do that just cut the cat out and weld a new piece of tubing in its place.

#29 ·
Although i dont think your problem is a clogged cat, there are a couple of things you can do. 1, you would notice a loss of power. 2, drive a long distance (preer at night), and look under the car and check out the cat. If its clogged, it will be glowing red because it will be really hot. To temp fix it if you cant afford a new one, get a long pipe or something and hit all the old stuff inside it till it all comes out and you can see from one side to the other.

#26 ·
**QUESTION**

Hey guys,
So my question is when I'm in reverse or 1st and let the clutch out I hear a loud POP lika ball joint if turning... I just replaced the driver side axle last month... Well I got under the car today and found that the driver side away bar linkage was broke off... The bottom bolt is broke off where it bolts to the A arm... I gotta new linkage and bolts but couldn't get the old bolt out.

My question is do you think this is causing the POP I hear? I'm drilling it out tomorrow and putting my new linkage on but just wanted to ask if you all think that's causing
The pop.

#27 ·
Question for you guys, my window fell down randomly, I hadn't driven in a few days and I saw that it was about half way down. The next day I saw that it had gone all the way down. I tried putting it back up and it didn't work. It looks like I'll be needing a new motor (at least I would assume so), but is that the only problem? Is there anything else, or something else completely, that I need to look at? I haven't taken the door card off to look at it yet because I was on my way out the door to come home from school when I saw it (I left my car at school but I am home). I would like the have the parts ready in hand when I get back to school so I can fix it.

#34 ·
Once you put 'em on you're going to want to keep going LOWER ;)

Racelands are a budget coil, so don't expect the ride to be stellar. By not stellar I mean you'll definitely notice a difference in the ride quality compared to OEM, and probably not a good one. I don't have them, but they're probably better than what I'm currently on, so in my eyes they're probably alright. For the price though, they're a heck of a deal.

#35 ·
Well the roads were I live are just downright horrible, so I can't go to low. Also, this is something else but any ideas about exhaust. I'm looking for a cat back but I don't want it to be that loud at all! Just a nice sound. I again don't have a lot of money so I'm looking for cheaper things but I don't want ****. :) I'm new to this whole thing so I don't know much.

#37 ·
Oh sorry i never said. I have the 1.8t 20v with 103k. I was thinking something like greddy? What would you suggest. I would install the exhaust myself so I would save a couple bucks there. Also any reviews on a neuspeed p-flow intake. I know it doesn't add a lot of hp but it looks great under the hood and sounds awesome.

#38 ·
I have another question about smelling gas all the time. I checked my car for codes with the vcds light, and I did a readiness check and it came up with; Oxygen Sensor Heating failed or incomplete, oxygen sensor(s) failed or incomplete, secondary air injection failed or incomplete, evaproation emissions failed or incomplete, and catalytic converter failed or incomplete. So my question is are the these really messed up or is the program messed up and two could any of these be a result of smelling gas in my car all the time? And to add that i got a code for a faulty n249 valve, could that be another thing added to my problem. Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.