Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I have a 2003 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition with just over 106,000 miles on it. I just bought it about a month ago, and have since put about 1400 miles on it. A couple weeks ago on my way home from work the jet was really loud and revving high, then I looked down and noticed the check engine light was on, and the car had a lot of trouble shifting past 1st (stayed at 20 for a while) then it lurched. This cycle repeated for about 3 times after a stop, then when I got on the highway it didnt do it, went 70-80 with no problem. . .the check engine light turned off while I was driving. The next day when I go to work i turn on the car, check engine light still off, transmission shifts fine, but on may way back home from work the cycle happens again: check engine light, 3 lurches, highway, 80mph, check engine light off ect.) I am VERY confused! This last weekend I took a trip back home (app. 220 miles). When I started the car lurched 3 times again, then I got on the highway at rush hour, shifted slightly roughly, I get up to speed, check engine light goes off, my whole time back home the light stayed off and the transmission was fine, back home, same story, i've been back in riverside and the problem didnt repeat until this morning, but this time I didnt even have to get on the highway to make the check engine light go off, It went off after 2 lurches and the car was fine after! I doubt that a VW dealer will be able to pin point the specific problem without just wanting to replace the transmission. I have a feeling that the whole transmission isnt rotten, just a component or ratios or something. . .PLEASE HELP!! I love my jetta and will pay the $$$ for a new tranny but it would be out of commission for a few months while I work up the money to pay for it! -------SIDE NOTE: a couple weeks ago I noticed a large puddle under the car (basically under the drivers door) it was clear and i couldnt really notice a smell, slighty sticky. . .could this be transmission fluid????

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
First, stop driving it until you can at least narrow down if is a maintenance issue, mechanical prelude to failure, or a dirty filter even.Do you have sny service history on the vehicle? When was last flush and change,if any. Check the fluids color, smell, and viscosity. Healthy Aisin fluid is bright red and translucent. If it is dark, stinky, and thick, you need a flush. If there is bits of debris in the drained fluid, refinance your house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts