Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I've been lurking here for a few weeks ever since I bought my 02 Jetta 1.8t. Its been a fun car to drive since I've got it but as of a few days ago I've had a pretty big problem come up.

A few days ago I was driving and the oil light came on. I put 4L of 5w30 synthetic oil in and have since lost almost all my oil twice. There aren't a lot of exhaust fumes and there isn't any oil leaking under the car or anything at the end of the exhaust. It also doesn't make any smell (until its starting to get low). I took it to the service station and they were almost certain it was my turbo (going by my description). I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or might know if I'm looking at replacing the stock turbo or if it just needs work.

I apologize this is my first post here but I'd love to start contributing once I can get this problem out of the way.

If anyone could give any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
Reading over this it doesn't make sense. If your turbo was leaking oil you would be seeing clouds of blue smoke. It could possible still be the turbo. Depending on how bad it is you can buy a turbo rebuild kit for fairly cheap and rebuild your turbo, but there is no way to know if its rebuildable without taking it out.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Thats a looooot of oil to be losing over such a short period of time. And you say there isnt much/any smoke coming from your exhaust? Even during boost?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be the line from the oil pan to the bottom of the turbo. It seems to have a crack in it which mean it was leaking oil but I still fail to see how I didn't see any oil on the ground if that much was spewin from it. Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping my next post will be regarding a mod and not just another problem. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Glad you found the source! Don't forget to update with your fix, and post back if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
I would first start by checking the brake line going to each wheel to see if the line is broken. If it is then its a $15 fix
He's talking about motor oil chief, not brake fluid lol

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
my oil just ran out also, but im not leaking any..its weird. i have the 2.0 tho, so no turbo.
2.slow motors are notorious for burning oil. Thats probably your problem. I don't think anyone has found out why or how to fix it besides just replacing the motor.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
2.slow motors are notorious for burning oil. Thats probably your problem. I don't think anyone has found out why or how to fix it besides just replacing the motor.
If its the AEG its the infamous piston rings in cylinder 2.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Dont quote me on the engine code though, I get confused between the two lol.

But the rings came improperly stamped from the factory, so they were installed upside down. Burning a quart of oil in a 1000 mile span isn't uncommon.

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
I believe your right. My friend had a 00 2.0 jetta (AEG) and he actually just replaced the motor (worked at the stealership and got it cheaper then it would cost to have replaced the ring).
Now that you mention it I do remember hearing that before. I just don't care to much about 2.slow engines cause they are just tooo damn slow...

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Not just slow, but not even fuel efficient for the sacrifice in power lol.

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
bah yeah i have the aeg, sometimes, i WISH, that one thing i hear, or find out about my car, would be something good. then i wake up and realize its a volkswagen
Yea, but you love that volkswagen :p. You should just accept that CELs are a way of life for mk4's. Since I got mine I think my CEL has been on more then not. I even bought a shirt with a CEL on it XD
Now stop complaining and lower it :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.