Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the world of hot hatches and sedans, the Europeans get to have all the fun. Look at the Volkswagen Golf R and the Audi RS4. These are just two of the vehicles that we would love to have in the United States, but chances are that day will never come. Now, there is a new hot German vehicle and this one might actually come to our shores.

The four-door Jetta sedan might receive a hot R version and while these are just rumors, we wanted to give you a little insight into what it might offer. The Jetta R hasn’t officially been announced, so most of the information we have provided is simply speculation, but hot Volkswagens don’t seem to change much.

There is a chance that the hot Jetta will be shown at the Los Angeles Motor Show, but nothing has been announced as of yet.

Hit the jump to see the R.

Exterior
Compared to the normal Jetta, the R version will likely sit lower and give you a front fascia with larger air intakes and an integrated front spoiler, black mirrors, extended rocker sills, a rear spoiler in body color, and a rear aero diffuser in black.

Other options might include bi-xenon headlights, smoked lenses for the taillights, chrome exhaust tips, and the Talladega wheels. Inside, the Jetta R should have a flat-bottomed steering wheel and R badges scattered throughout.

The Power
If built, it could utilize the same engine as the Golf R and Scirocco R. The 2.0-liter turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder produces 265 horsepower and up to 258 ft-lb of torque. The car could be a four-wheel drive model, but front-wheel has not been ruled out.

Recently, Autocar reported that a Jetta was shown with a 3.6-liter V6 and a dual-clutch transmission. It was also fitted with 4Motion all-wheel drive. We still can’t be sure what the Jetta R will pack under the hood, but both of those motors will work for us.

The Competition
The new car would be competing against vehicles like the Honda Civic Si, Scion tC TRD, and the Ford Focus RS, should it be revived for North America.

Currently, only one of those models is for sale in the U.S, the Civic Si. Yet, by the time the Jetta R hits the market, chances are the Civic Si will have been redesigned.

When Will It Be Released
If it ever does come to the United States, it should be here in late 2011 or 2012. Yet, before anything is officially announced, Volkswagen needs to make sure that there is a demand in America for such a vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
My plan is to baby this mkiv until long after 200k miles and then in 2015 or so get something like an R. Really like the MKVI body.

To be honest I'd like to see the rumors and concepts of a VW Sportbike come true.

Sent from this robot that reads my thoughts: Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,456 Posts
Am imissing something? Just looks like a mk6 to me. But, if they did do a jetta R, for the love of god PLEASE put a VR6 in there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Just chillin
383 Posts
Small write up i found about possible powertrains for the R

If built, it could utilize the same engine as the Golf R and Scirocco R. The 2.0-liter turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder produces 265 horsepower and up to 258 ft-lb of torque. The car could be a four-wheel drive model, but front-wheel has not been ruled out.
Recently, Autocar reported that a Jetta was shown with a 3.6-liter V6 and a dual-clutch transmission. It was also fitted with 4Motion all-wheel drive. We still can’t be sure what the Jetta R will pack under the hood, but both of those motors will work for us.

As far as style goes, i am not to thrilled with the current jetta or the R's looks. It seems huge, finally put a power motor in the car and then you tack on all the weight and size, seems kinda pointless. If the Jetta R's that they showed at one of the big car shows out in Cali were to become a reality it would be a whole different story, those were sexy as hell.

jetta-r-gt-2.jpg thumbnai.jpg volkswagen-consideri-1w.jpg

First 2 are the R-GT concepts by HPA, so hot IMO. Other is the 2012 Jetta R production car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i hope they put the 3.6 in it, in the pick at the top you can see dual exhaust which doesnt really mean to much but if it really pulled on a chipped jetta its gotta be packing something sexy. i would do some ungodly things to that car, every morning would be awkward... lol

·
Super Moderator
14,456 Posts
If that's all it is, it's not stock. There's a dual exhaust on it.

x100001 on the vr6 comment
Good call, I didn't see that. Well, It could be faux dual exhaust, but if it is real, I don't see why they'd need to do that on a 2.0T.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I could be wrong but dont we have the rs4 and the golf r is coming this year? Or am I reading the first post way wrong, lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah they are, but vw needs a new 4 door powerhouse, the new gli isnt going to do the trick its basically a gti with 4 doors
put that 3.6 in there and it's a whole new toy for us

·
Registered
190 Posts
make the jetta R and ill buy it for sure. i was checking in to it awhile back.

and if they make the W12 GTI it has to be AWD. but they wont make it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts