Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

VR6 Automatic Transmission Slipping, need Advice on Fluid/Filter change.

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  RvaVR6 
#1 ·
Ive already searched the problem on here and found no useful information. Went to Priority VW near my place and the mech said the problem sounded like I need to service the fluid and stuff, which I already have the parts for. He recommended bringing it to the shop because if you put too much fluid in it will "burn up" the transmission.
Anyone done it themselves that can give me advice?

Heres the problem... For a while it had been slipping when its cold, once it warmed up it was good to go. After that it went from slipping to extremely hard shifts. More recently when I was driving it almost felt like it was grabbing/slowing me down and wouldnt let me accelerate and the RPMs would decline as the speed did, almost like as if I was braking then it would let loose and drive normally. The next morning every gear slipped at 3000ish, 3rd gear being the worst. Haven't driven the car since.
All advice appreciated. I want to get this correctly diagnosed before I hit up the stealership for unneeded parts.

#4 ·
You could try some Tranmission Lucas Oil to see if it will help with the slipping. I've used it before in another vehicle and it seemed to have helped. I only used 1/3 of the bottle, since i was a bit skeptical about using something thick in my transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.