Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the site so I thought I'd start with a question haha

Ok, so I have a 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8t and for the past week my car has been idling rough, not ridiculous rough but a little jotty, and then it started overheating like no other and I could not understand as to WHY!? So today I had a day off and decided to go take a look. So I turn the car on, let it run for a little, then check under the hood. I heard a hiss sound and I figure air was leaking out of a hose or something. I found a hose (I'm not sure what it goes too) but it has a huge slice in it :( I took a few pictures to show you guys in hopes anyone can help! Any feedback would help! Thanks alot!

P1010027.JPG P1010026.JPG P1010028.JPG

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
That's the positive crankcase ventilation tube, the one that comes off of the block. Might be a dealership only part, I don't think advance auto parts or autozone would carry that. Just make sure you don't get the ''Y'' pipe (the one right above it). The Y pipe is usually the one that goes bad, so when you say ''PCV pipe'' people will probably naturally think of the Y. Just make sure to mention that it's the hard plastic one that comes off the block.

However, that wont cause overheating... And probably not the rough idle either, but maybe..

Meanwhile, you can tape it shut if you want to seal the leak. No pressure goes through that pipe so tape will hold it shut.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was quick, sweet! Haha thanks a lot! I'm probably going to head down to the dealer in the morning and see. Would you happen to know how much those would normally run?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
save yourself the trouble and buy a catch can or do this. It took about 30 mins to do with hand tools.

Rofl, energy drink bottle for a catch can?!?

On a side note, Venom energy drinks kick ass.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Definitely works, keeps oil out of your intake too. However I'd lean more towards a real catch can... I wouldn't trust an aluminum bottle to be air tight... And if it's not, water vapors can get in, and water vapor + oil vapor = sludge.

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
haha yea it works!!!
I did it the other day XD
When I did mine I used clear tubing and after 2-3 days I can already see stuff in the lines. Boost you are right about the air getting in and that scared me too so when I did it I screwed the cap on as tight as I could then wrapped it in electrical tape to get a tight seal.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Should have welded it!!

The tape will prob hold for a while lol

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
I just might do that! Haha what all do you need? Tools wise
You will just need a screw driver, 5mm allen wrench, and an 8mm ratchet. Everything should be listed on the link. Its really easy to do.

Should have welded it!!

The tape will prob hold for a while lol
I was about to JB weld it then I started thinking about how I was gonna open it when it needed to be drained.
The tape is just until I can think of some other way to seal it tightly and still be able to open it. I think I might just put a drain tap in the bottom.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Yeah I was just messin around about the welding lol...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I JUST did this repair. It was a huge pain in the ass. The little, brass end pieces don't like to budge. They get stuck inside the hoses you're trying to disconnect from. Not so bad up towards the Y-piece, but at the lower, less accessible end...good luck! I could be wrong, but I don't think this would cause the car to overheat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, when I was looking at the engine it seemed like the other end would be incredibly hard to get too. Where did you buy the pipe from?

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
I still stick with my original statement of ripping it all out. Its a PITA to get those hoses out and you don't need them if you do the catch can, but I still have all the hoses sitting in my garage. I'll grab a part number off it in the morning or I'll clean up mine and ship it to you if you cover the shipping.

·
Registered
158 Posts
germanautoparts.com - $70

My advice is don't attempt it. It's a can of worms. Either do the catch-can thing, or just use some spare rubber to patch it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
really? they had 2 hoses, 1 was for the Y hose and that one is the lower T hose that connects to the Y hose (thats what it says)

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
My mistake, your right that is the hose you need. I just don't know how it would connect to the upper Y section because when you look at it the end snaps into the y section.

Your gonna have to talk to someone with some more experience with those hoses on how they work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts