Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been looking for a good deal on a 2001 VR6 gls (below 3-4k) in stl missouri, and am having no luck. im almost about to say screw it and go for a mazda 626 or mx6 instead. any help?:(

·
Registered
387 Posts
ive been looking for a good deal on a 2001 VR6 gls (below 3-4k) in stl missouri, and am having no luck. im almost about to say screw it and go for a mazda 626 or mx6 instead. any help?:(
there out there. might have to spend a little more to get one with decent miles. the ones that have lo miles hold their value very well.

widen ur horizon as well, the 1.8t's and TDI's are great cars with more potential, especially the TDI's, i want one now. dieselpowerhouse.com

·
MUFFIN
11 Posts
Try autotrader . com. I see a few near-abouts your desired year, but fewer still are VR6s.
Check other cities if you can try 'em.

I found and bought a Jetta 500 miles from my place in 2008, from Lincoln, NE to Denver, CO.

Volkswagens usually aren't cheap. Got my '00 VR6 for $8k with 125k miles in 2008.
In my experience, mkIVs under $5k are questionable or need a lot of love and fixin' or have da high miles.

I woulda liked a TDI, too, but none were available within 1000 miles at the time I was shopping, or they were over $15k.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
llllllllooooolllllllllllll.

It took me months to find my 12v, just be patient. Check vortex and craigslist everyday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Patience is key. I Got my VR for a little over 5k. Like others have been saying, buying a mk4 for 6 or 7k is well worth it because anything less, like my car, usually requires a lot of TLC, maintenance, fixing and restoration. I wish I couldve gotten a more expensive jetta that was in better condition. Trust me, saving up is worth it

·
Registered
177 Posts
Volkswagens usually aren't cheap. Got my '00 VR6 for $8k with 125k miles in 2008.
Wow I hope that thing was in mint condition.

Like everyone else has been saying, try looking at 1.8T's which can be easier to find and can certainly be just as much fun (see 1.8T vs VR6 thread). You also might have to travel a little farther to find what you're looking for but if it's something you really want it will be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Black 2000 VR6 in Lawrence I've been toying around with selling. Tan cloth interior, JVC double din headunit, polk audio speakers, everything works great, 5 speed, tinted windows, power locks/windows, etc. 117k miles, I'd sell it today for $4800. Replaced the upper timing chain guide and tensioner, but have a slight rattle still below 2k rpms. I bought the rest of the parts to fix it completely (chains, lower guides, tensioner, etc), but have been waiting for it to get cooler. I drive it daily and it runs like a top. Its a very very fun car to drive and handles like its on rails.

·
MUFFIN
11 Posts
Wow I hope that thing was in mint condition.
Only a couple paint dings when I got it and the only interior issue was a marked up driver's door handle.
But a couple Nebraska winters were tough on the paint [had to park it outdoors for much of my time in Nebraska].
Then in the past year while I've been unemployed a bunch of electrical issues and sunroof shenannigans have bothered me. And a warped brake rotor or two.
Runs fine otherwise, til I can get a few repairs in. :/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts