Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2005 GLI (1.8t), with the stock BBS RC's, stock suspension, etc. I'm pretty new to the whole wheel fitment world, so bear with me...

I am looking to get some wheel spacers to make things a little more flush with the fender, maybe even just a tiny bit of poke.

If I were to go with spacers, do you think I will run into a problem with rubbing? I think I will be safe for the most part, but if there is a sudden heavy dip in the road, it may pose a problem when the suspension compresses. An easy solution to rubbing would be to roll the fender, but I would rather not do that.

I know, I know..."You need to lower your car!!!!"
But that isn't really an option. I live in NW PA, where potholes are a thing. I've driven lowered cars all my life, and I'm just not willing to do that to this one. I'd like to keep things as "daily driven" as possible.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
With stock tires, you should be okay. That would be like, the wheel turned
to the left or right and hitting a big dip, and the tire hitting the fender,
it doesn't... You'll need longer lugs with spacers. DO not go too big
with spacers, it throws off the camber, you'll ride the inside of the
tire with too big a spacer. Have you ever looked at jeeps and cars with
the wheels pushed too far out, and the tires lean /---o---\ = too thick a
spacer...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With stock tires, you should be okay. That would be like, the wheel turned
to the left or right and hitting a big dip, and the tire hitting the fender,
it doesn't... You'll need longer lugs with spacers. DO not go too big
with spacers, it throws off the camber, you'll ride the inside of the
tire with too big a spacer. Have you ever looked at jeeps and cars with
the wheels pushed too far out, and the tires lean /---o---\ = too thick a
spacer...
That's a good point. Never looked at it that way. If I'm hitting a dip hard enough to have wheel make impact on my fender, I'm probably looking at buying a new front bumper/lip- and I haven't bottomed out since I bought the car 3 years ago. I've been through enough bumpers with my previous cars to know what driveways, bumps, etc. to avoid.

I'm planning on going with ECS spacers, that will come with extended bolts, so I'm not really worried about that.

I can't say I've ever noticed jeeps or any vehicles with spacers too big, with the whole camber issue. Honestly, it might help me out in the long run anyways. Right now, according to the wear pattern on my tires, I have a positive camber- so I have more wear on the outside of the tire than the inside. Thanks for your response.

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
youll be pushing out damn near an inch of poke before crossing into camber wear on your tires that is noticeable with your OEM height and RCs. Your pretty safe with focusing on a flush measurement. Youd need very particular "hard turning whilst hitting a bump" scenarios to ever see real problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
youll be pushing out damn near an inch of poke before crossing into camber wear on your tires that is noticeable with your OEM height and RCs. Your pretty safe with focusing on a flush measurement. Youd need very particular "hard turning whilst hitting a bump" scenarios to ever see real problems.
An inch of poke might look good on lowered cars, but would probably look a little silly with a stock suspension.
It's not like I drive it too often either. I only logged 600 miles on it last year.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
you'll be fine if you go flush at stock height, i'm flush and much lower then stock and never have a problem, just roll your fenders if your gonna go flush there's really no downside and if you go flush and don't roll them they'll start rolling the wrong way

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
An inch of poke might look good on lowered cars, but would probably look a little silly with a stock suspension.
It's not like I drive it too often either. I only logged 600 miles on it last year.

Thanks.
an inch of poke will look bad, and if your not driving it often why not lower it then? if you'r not dailying it slam it then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts