VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: I'm throwing an O2 sensor code but I just replaced it 4 months ago...|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm throwing an O2 sensor code but I just replaced it 4 months ago...

Senior Member NuuTuuVeeDubb is on a distinguished road NuuTuuVeeDubb's Avatar

Default I'm throwing an O2 sensor code but I just replaced it 4 months ago...

Hello everyone, I was driving home today and my car started running quite bad and then my old nemesis the cel came on, I got home and scanned it and it's the O2 sensor, I just replaced this about 4 months ago but not because the last one was bad, but because I didn't have a scanner at that time and misdiagnosed a problem I had at that time. Once the sensor was in the car I couldn't return it...anywho why would I be throwing an O2 sensor code all of a sudden on a nearly new sensor that I've never had previous problems with before todayCould it just be dirty and maybe cleaned out with some CNC? any help would be great!

Default Re: I'm throwing an O2 sensor code but I just replaced it 4 months ago...

Deff. dont clean it out. What was the code exactly?

Hidden Content Originally Posted by darksidedub Hidden Content
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Vixen Hidden Content
    I will fight you.

Default Re: I'm throwing an O2 sensor code but I just replaced it 4 months ago...

It is 00537...oxygen sensor control, I looked under the hood at the plug-in that is located at the junction of the downpipe and the exhaust manifold and noticed that there is a spare wire on the engine side of the plug in that I assume goes to the ecu, there are five wires all together and only four go to the plug (it's a four wire sensor) I moved the "spare" wire away from any possible contact with anything that it could ground to and erased the code and haven't had any recurrance, however I haven't really driven it a whole lot yet. When the cel was coming up it was only intermittant so I'm thinking that maybe that spare wire was grounding on the downpipe and causing my cel?!?!? what do you think? I'll let you know how it goes... thanks for any and all help!

My car was throwing an o2 code and it wasn't the o2 censor or anything; luckily I have a mechanic boyfriend and he replaced all my vacuum lines and we drove around for awhile and the code was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NuuTuuVeeDubb View Post
    It is 00537...oxygen sensor control, I looked under the hood at the plug-in that is located at the junction of the downpipe and the exhaust manifold and noticed that there is a spare wire on the engine side of the plug in that I assume goes to the ecu, there are five wires all together and only four go to the plug (it's a four wire sensor) I moved the "spare" wire away from any possible contact with anything that it could ground to and erased the code and haven't had any recurrance, however I haven't really driven it a whole lot yet. When the cel was coming up it was only intermittant so I'm thinking that maybe that spare wire was grounding on the downpipe and causing my cel?!?!? what do you think? I'll let you know how it goes... thanks for any and all help!
    Could be, but it'll take a bit of bit of driving for the code to come back if its gonna. But it's gotta be either the sensor wiring/connectors, sensor itself, clogged injectors, bad fuel pressure regulator (OR a vacuum leak in the braded fuel pressure regulator line located right off the FPR), fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter.

Most likely, not the sensor since that code is for lambda regulation... Meaning, the it's commanding the ECU to dump more fuel, but its not getting into the engine. So the O2 is doing its job... but its upper limit has been reached.

Definitely check that fuel pressure regulator line. A vacuum leak in the FPR line (braided) will make your car run super lean, and that line is a common problem.

What engine btw? I've been assuming you have a 1.8T the whole time lol, the other engines might not have a braided line. But definitely a FPR line none the less.

come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    I will fight you.

Thanks for the response!! I wish I had the 1.8T but I've got the 2.0, that being said I drove almost 200 hundred miles today and no problems(gives a few knocks on wood lol) I think it was that wire, I don't know what it's there for, but I do know it doesn't like being grounded! Thanks again!

No problem man, glad you got it taken care of!

I will fight you.

+ Reply to Thread