VW Jetta MKIII/MK3: Noob- Car starting issues|Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob- Car starting issues

Default Noob- Car starting issues

Hello, My Jetta is a 98, 5pds, GL 2.0. I've been experiencing the same "car wont start after rain" problems that many people have and am seeking help. She was out in the rain, lots of moisture in the northeast the past day or so and she just would not fire up. The engine would turn over and over but no dice. After attempting for about 5 min, she fired up and I was able to get to work. There's moisture getting in there somewhere, since this has happened once before when it rained, so can someone just list all of the places that need to be checked. I don't know anything about cars.

Also, since i'm at work and am affraid it wont start, is there a quick fix so i can get home? Would popping the clutch work?

Thanks for all your help

lowness and dopeness Marc1987 is on a distinguished road Marc1987's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Noob- Car starting issues

were in the northeast are ya from?

anyway, pop the hood with the car running..(on a dry day)

take a spray bottle with some water in it and mist the engine bay, the spark plug wires, distributor, etc.. you will probably see some sparks arcing out man..you either have a broken plug, or a bad distributor cap..good luck
    2000 jetta 2.0//all show no go//owned.

Hidden Content Originally Posted by I4N Hidden Content
    ear sex
    RIP: 1995 black mk3
    Hidden Content

Will do Marc thanks! If nothing happens, if no sparks occur then do i rule out anything electrical? where to look next? A buddy of mine also suggested a bad coil pack? whatever that is. I'm in Southern CT and this rain has been killing me! It will start if it sits for an hour or 2, but when it sits out there for 8 hrs or so, it take forever to get her going.

Thanks again, will try the spray thing this weekend when it's nice out

exact same thing just happened to me. i stopped; car bogged; and stalled... she didnt wanna start back up. had to get it towed home; and like ive said before; very thankful i have a mechanic boyfriend; i needed to replace my ignition coil... when it would get moisture in it; it would arc... i would spray it with wd40 to un-arc it; but it didnt do the trick anymore... part was $130 from advanced auto.... or i could have waited a few days for $60; but i went to a place out here called l&t and got one brand new for $63.

lowness and dopeness Marc1987 is on a distinguished road Marc1987's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inzhaus88 View Post
    exact same thing just happened to me. i stopped; car bogged; and stalled... she didnt wanna start back up. had to get it towed home; and like ive said before; very thankful i have a mechanic boyfriend; i needed to replace my ignition coil... when it would get moisture in it; it would arc... i would spray it with wd40 to un-arc it; but it didnt do the trick anymore... part was $130 from advanced auto.... or i could have waited a few days for $60; but i went to a place out here called l&t and got one brand new for $63.
    you should of slapped some jb weld on the biatch lol, would of held just fine.
    2000 jetta 2.0//all show no go//owned.

Hidden Content Originally Posted by I4N Hidden Content
    ear sex
    RIP: 1995 black mk3
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread