VW Jetta: I know this is very cliche. But what should I do to my car first?|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I know this is very cliche. But what should I do to my car first?

Default I know this is very cliche. But what should I do to my car first?

Okay, so I know this is exactly like all the other noob threads here. To start off I got a 2001 Jetta GL 2.0. I plan on stancing in the future, but just not yet. For now I want to fix the interior, and some exterior. Car was previously owned by a smoker, so there are a few burn spots. Some interior pieces are missing as well. As for exterior there is some rust under the driver side door, and all lot of dents, and dings/scratches.

I just want to hear from some of you who have slowly upgraded your car. Like what interior did you start doing first, what exterior have you done, etc. I really want to learn and this is my new project car.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member mcciffGLX is on a distinguished road mcciffGLX's Avatar

Default Re: I know this is very cliche. But what should I do to my car first?

First step should always be maintenance. If there's something mechanically wrong with the car, it needs fixed before you start throwing money into making it look good. If that rust spot looks serious, that's probably where you should start after the car is mechanically sound.

As for interior stuff, you'll never be completely satisfied with your interior if you don't take care of what the PO neglected. If the burn spots are easily fixable, take care of those. Replace the interior pieces that are missing. Get it looking stock before you start adding in your own details.

Eccentric Nutjob Grease Slapper is on a distinguished road Grease Slapper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcciffGLX View Post
    First step should always be maintenance. If there's something mechanically wrong with the car, it needs fixed before you start throwing money into making it look good. If that rust spot looks serious, that's probably where you should start after the car is mechanically sound.

As for interior stuff, you'll never be completely satisfied with your interior if you don't take care of what the PO neglected. If the burn spots are easily fixable, take care of those. Replace the interior pieces that are missing. Get it looking stock before you start adding in your own details.

This. Exactly.
    [/Sarcasm]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

I don't agree with the "factory" part. If you know what you want to do, you should invest in doing that. Not to convert it to stock, then add parts.

I will agree that you need to maintain the car first. Rust spots need to be fixed. Dents will make any paint-job, no matter how polished and waxed, look horrible. These are things that you should get done before anything else. Mechanically, get the car up and running, fix the issues with the body, buy and plan while you fix those issues - then start to invest.

For example if you know that you were going to invest in Recaros, you wouldn't want to spend money and time re-upholstering the burn holes from cigarettes.

After you fix the mechanical problems - full inspection of everything then go for body work. Unless you feel like spending money on a beautiful chasis and you can't show it off because it's stuck in the garage

A metal skid plate and good Shocks are such a necessity on these cars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread