VW Jetta: 2006 VW Jetta TDI problems|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 VW Jetta TDI problems

Default 2006 VW Jetta TDI problems

Okay so I bought a 06 tdi on a whim for $3,000. The problem is that the car has no get up and go. I was told that the turbo had gone, but when I checked there was absolutely no shaftplay or oil leaking through. I know that the egr system has created a buildup, but I don't think it would cause this.

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Digifook. CafeRacer is on a distinguished road CafeRacer's Avatar

Default Re: 2006 VW Jetta TDI problems

EGRs are well known to plug up pretty badly in that era. Removing the EGR assembly to clean isn't so bad the issue is the intake is also usually just as caked up and choked out. $3000 is a good deal so don't feel like you bought a lemon. The intake is also not too bad to remove just kind of cumbersome. my recommendation for cleaning is to get a Rubbermaid bin and spray varsol / terpintine into the soot. Let it soak then attack it with pointy objects, a bottle cleaner brush and swearing. Its a messy job. While the intake is off use a screw driver or pick and a vacuum cleaner to clean the valve ports on the head. The vacuum helps keep chunks from dropping into an open cylinder.

Depending on where you live its not a bad idea to delete the EGR completely. There are kits available online that go together really quick and keep your intake clean of soot. Wether you re install the EGR or delete it cleaning the entire system is going to make it feel like a new car unless the engine is completely punched out.

Another thing to watch for with a 2006 is the lubricity of the new fuels. "Pomp Dues" injection uses a high pressure pump off the camshaft and cam timing. Like anything with mechanical valves its worth checking the adjustment. The real issue is that the modern diesel fuels don't provide the same oily lubricity that they had when these engines were first introduced. Injectors wear out quicker and can also leak into the engine, almost like creating oil - a big problem with Detroit Diesel 2 strokes. That's a simple check. Add some diesel system dye into the tank and go drive it. Lift the valve cover and use the infared light to check around the injectors and lines for leaks.

Its very common practice for someone to pour half a quart into a full tank of diesel in a car like that. You can even hear the sound differ.

Another good thing to check at that age are that the waste gate actuator is working properly, but most the get up and go issue is more than likely going to be the EGR and intake covered in soot.

Thanks for the reply. I actually just pulled her out of the shop. It was the Turbo to intercooler hose which had an approximately 3 inch gash in it. But since it was already out of commission I just went ahead and changed the turbo out anyway. Now it's running great and has it's power back. I wasn't too worried about putting some money into the car since I had gotten such a good deal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

When you bought the new Turbo, how much was it? The variable vein acturator has failed on my 2006 TDI. Please help if you can.

Junior Member MasterSpyKiller is on a distinguished road MasterSpyKiller's Avatar

LUSOCCER18

I feel your desperation. Unfortunately, the post you are replying to is about 2 years old, so GallatinVW may not respond.

If there are any VW dealers in your area, you might stop by and chat with the mechanics (if possible) and ask for discarded turbos.

wowo the post

contraulationssssss wowow

+ Reply to Thread