VW Jetta: Worn cam lobe? 05 td|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worn cam lobe? 05 td

Junior Member jbroese is on a distinguished road jbroese's Avatar

Default Worn cam lobe? 05 td

Hi there. I'm a former jetta owner and in the market for another one. I'm looking at a 2005 (new body style) TDI jetta. The car had 210000 miles and owner says it has worn cam lobe. Currently drivable. My question is what Is that and how much to fix myself. I don't like repair shops because I don't simply trust them. I can get the car for a really low price just need to k ow if it's worth the time and money to fix. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member PowerslavePA is on a distinguished road PowerslavePA's Avatar

Default Re: Worn cam lobe? 05 td

You'll need to remove the valve cover, and replace the CAM if
    the lobe is worn.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/ca...tdi-pd-engine/

Don't know what a cam costs but DO get an OEM one, or from a reliable maker/seller like NAPA. And when you install it be sure to buy a set of cam followers. This isn't the time to go inside and AutoZone!! And they're not "lifters" as people call them.

IMPORTANT: "Replacing the cam" isn't a simple matter of throwing a cam in it. You MUST take note of the timing marks on the cam and crankshaft sprockets so that whne you're all done you won't trash that "interference" engine!!! Rolling the engfine over BY HAND is a must after you're all done, to insure nothing's hitting inside! Most people on these forums make a big deal out of replacing the timing belt on these cars, but it's not that big of a deal IF you take note of the cam/crank timing mark position before AND after you do the job. OH - and while you're at it, replace that timing belt too!!!

And when it's all done be sure to add a couple cups of LUCAS oil additive to your oil. That will keep the cam and followers lubricated after you shut off the car. Look at one of their display at any Oreilly's auto parts store. It's really cheap insurance against a failed valve train. No olil in the world will lubricate diddly squat if it's not ON what needs to be lubricated!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

You'll need to remove the valve cover, and replace the CAM if
    the lobe is worn.

+ Reply to Thread