VW Jetta: VDub IV Enthusiast Daily Driver|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VDub IV Enthusiast Daily Driver

Default VDub IV Enthusiast Daily Driver

This is my baby, have had her for about two years now and absolutely love her . Up to this point I have not done any major mods since purchasing, mostly just maintenance and general care. I did sort of have an option to get a brand new car around $20k, but decided to keep my Jetta <3, for a couple of complicated reasons. She has around 186Thous. Km. (not miles).
    This is my daily driver, but I have not been doing to much driving as of late. However I have been saving and now will begin to add some more external mods/ updates (after ALL maintenance is up to date.).

1.8T
    Factory Turbo
    Full MagnaFlow Turbo Back 2.75" Exhaust to 3" Downpipe
    Neuspeed Performance Air Intake
    Forge bypass/blowoff Valve
    Revo Stage 2

About 8 months after owning a sensor went (don't recall which exactly, but I probably have the receipt somewhere), car would not accelerate and stopped in front of my house. Managed to start it and get it in the driveway. Also somehow managed to get it from the driveway to the VW shop. They were shocked the car even started lol... about $600 taxes,labour,parts. Car was accelerating much better upon replacement.

This is how she looked when I got her. Pretty simple, but nice and clean. I would regularly detail and vacuum, along with synthetic oil changes every 4500-5500km. This is just after a wash, wet wax spray to dry, clay bar, wax paste with buffer

Engine bay cover painted red?

During an Oil Change:

The "halo" headlights they came with.

Excuse the dirt! Thanks for the hole. @sylvannia bulbs #classactionlawsuit lol.... I called them and they said they would replace my bulb, I had to LOL HARD, because I had told them about the hole and they seemed to care less.

Replaced with used hellas

^MSR rims Sold. Rocking all Season rubber on steelies.

Just picked these up, used but price was to good to pass up
    Can't wait to install, but still got a couple weeks of winter to get through!

A little curb rash on two of the wheels; nothing a little TLC can't deal with

Changed rubber on steelies to winter tires. Now need new rubber for the bbs!

About a week or two ago; New front and back (Set) brake pads & rotors. Rear Shock absorbers + shock mounts, and absorbers. Front strut assembly. More general maintenance, cabin filter, oil change, oil filter, etc.

OEM VW Wipers (set). Work Awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	whip11043493.jpg‎
Views:	56
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	30962   Click image for larger version

Name:	whipp22213.jpg‎
Views:	38
Size:	981.6 KB
ID:	30970  

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: VDub IV Enthusiast Daily Driver

Mods I hope to do in the future:
    (I'd say it is in no specific order, but more or less along the lines of what will be done. Although looking at the list I may end up going in a fairly similar order)

**Timing Belt + Water Pump (unaware if done by previous owner this is a priority for me!)
    **Paint/Rust Repair (Ugh The Canadian Winters suck, blehh all that salt, washing and rust proofing can only do so much)
    • Summer Tires for my new Wheels :P
    • OEM Gli kit (hunting for a used kit!!!!..May just buy OEM from VW dealership)
    • Euro Hid Projectors (Oem or Reps) (looking for a pair, maybe FX-R's?)
    • Fog Light Kit (in bumper)
    • Cup Kit Suspension (Koni Cup coilovers, Bilstein or H&R springs, Sway bars?)
    • Flared/Rolled Fenders
    • Spacers for wheels
    • Boser Hood (Metal/ Fabricated)
    • Badgeless Grill (Most likely black. Maybe chrome)
    • Stubby Mirrors
    • Stubby Antenna (maybe)
    • Led Interior Lights
    • OEM GLI/Jetta Monster Mats
    • New trunk liner/carpet + Weather Tech Trunk Mat
    • New Chrome Strip on trunk (inside part)
    • Engine Cover (ECStuning C.F. / OEM Black? / Sand + Prime + Powder Coat current?)
    • Aluminum Oil Cap
    • Pedals (R32?)
    • New Center Arm Rest (OEM)

Thoughts for further future/ down the road Mod List:
    • Engine Bay Clean Up/Work (No specifics yet)
    • FMIC
    • Upgraded Brakes (Brembo? Audi TT?)
    • Exhaust
    • Big Turbo (GT28RS?) And;
    • Clutch/Rods/Pistons/ Engine Mounts
    • Then Stage 3 (Although I must do much more research, as I've heard good and bad about this).

....There are other things that may come to mind, and some ideas may change or be added over time. However I will be really, really enthusiastic once I can say I have checked off everything on this list!
    I have quite more to update and more pictures to come, as I get the hang of resizing and uploading lol. Lots of questions to be asked. Feel free to chime in, give your opinions and suggestions as I get the thread going. I will get into more specific things, as I begin to check mods off the list.

Okay so the inquiring begins! Hopefully one of ya dubbers' can chime in? (@skimmer .I know you're watching )

Firstly, Timing Belt and Water Pump! Of course both should be done together! Are there any other parts that are recommended to be changed once that is all opened up? Spark plugs? Cam seal?

These are the part options I am looking at:

OEM Timing Belt + W.P. Kit
    https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...1.8T/ES261236/

ECS Tuning Performance Package (Timing Belt + W.P. Kit)
    https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen....8T/ES2661299/

ECS Tuning Performance Package + Light Weight Pully Set
    https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...--1.8T/ES5139/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...1.8T/ES261237/
    ^I may end up going with this option.

My questions;
    1) Is there a big difference between the OEM and "Performance" Kevlar Timing Belt?
    .....^I concluded it is not necessary to get a "Kevlar" belt for the extra 20k of driving km's?
    2) Should I "upgrade/replace" the pulleys with lightweight under drive pulley kit? (Will I notice a difference in performance?)
    .....^I will most likely not go with an "Under drive" pulley kit, due to the balancer problems and voltage issues?
    3) The ecs ad says: "*Some cars may requite the use of our service tool kit ES419 to install the light weight alternator pulley in place of your clutched pulley*" ... would this apply to me? (or only manual models?)
    4) I am also on the fence with Metal impeller for water pump or not? I keep find pros and cons to both. (although I think most kits come with metal now?)
    How'd I know I would come back to this.... OEM OEM OEM!
    -----------

Could use opinions on this though! (:
    The other thing I am looking to do asap is repair the rust! ..some parts like the back passenger has fairly bad rust spot, then there is minor rust here and there but almost every other area .. (drivers rear skirt/fender, bottom drivers front skirt/fender, front fender beside headlight, left door near trim, centre trunk near licence plate holes for bolts) *I can throw up some pics of those to if it would help?
    At this point, I don't know if it would be wise to get each spot repaired, painted and matched (can that even be done WELL)? Or just redo the entire car? I have decided I <3<3<3 the current Platinum Grey colour and that is what I would like to keep.

Also Currently searching for: OEM GLI Kit and HID Projects. If ya' know where I can find one for a decent price pm me! Used is okay.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Yea of coarse I'm watching haha, so let me answer's these as your questions are numbered

1) Is there a big difference between the OEM and "Performance" Kevlar Timing Belt?
    .....^I concluded it is not necessary to get a "Kevlar" belt for the extra 20k of driving km's?
    If it were my car I'd spend the extra cash for a Kevlar belt, it's not necessary and the OEM one will more then take care of the needs of the car unless you're trying to push the maintanance times of the car

2) Should I "upgrade/replace" the pulleys with lightweight under drive pulley kit? (Will I notice a difference in performance?)
    .....^I will most likely not go with an "Under drive" pulley kit, due to the balancer problems and voltage issues?
    Flat out no you will not notice the difference in the car, but every little bit helps and if you keep on putting those little mods on that will see minimal gains you'll eventually see a little bit of something, if the funds are there I'd say do it since everything's out and off already I'd go for it, however if you're pushing it money wise I'd say don't worry about it now

3) The ecs ad says: "*Some cars may requite the use of our service tool kit ES419 to install the light weight alternator pulley in place of your clutched pulley*" ... would this apply to me? (or only manual models?)
    Not sure about his one at all, but if you have a decent impact gun you'll be able to zip the nut off the pulley to replace it with ease

4) I am also on the fence with Metal impeller for water pump or not? I keep find pros and cons to both. (although I think most kits come with metal now?)
    Yes without a shadow of a doubt I would go with an metal impeller, the plastic ones are like playing with fire and I would not chance it, I have a metal impeller in my car and I'd absolutely change it again to another one with a metal impeller

As far as painting the car, yes you can get it matched and blended only if you find a good shop to do it, but for the amount of rust repair and spots I think you'd be better off with a respray, if your going back to the OEM color there'd be no need for jams and engine bay really to be sprayed
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

<3

-I thought I would ad, since I forgot in first post, the purpose of this thread is; to help keep records and stay organized, to share my build with the community (:, and to get suggestions and opinions of other Volkswageners!

[Timing Belt]
    That is what I was originally thinking before doing a whole bunch of reading, of people complaining about the things lol. I'll take it, my thoughts and your help > what I read.
    I do not intend to push the timing belt maintenance, even with the kevlar belt, I would still stick to the schedule more or less. I just like that fact that it is stronger, more heat resistance, especially since I aspire to do more engine mods and am already sitting at stage 2. The gates racing timing belt and light weight pull kit is actually $200USD cheaper than the ECS "Genuine" ultimate kit. As for doing little mods here and there when I can, I totally agree with you there! (sort of goes into a sub-question I was planning on asking, I'll get to that soon:P) I just have to find a shop that is willing to just do labour with my parts.
    As for labour, I will most likely get it done at a shop - Since I can not do it myself because of my back (Although I would enjoy doing that!), my dad could do it but he is strapped at work, and I do not really have any car enthusiast buddies to help me out .

[Rust?/Paint]
    I will begin looking for reputable shops and get some quotes. (although I was hoping to get the oems gli kit before painting:P) I had a mk4 tdi passat which was "rust Repaired" buy a shop near by for just $450... visually it was a good job! (however I presume it would be easier to match a regular silver, than it would be to do a platinum grey?) How long that would last, that would be a completely different story, that only time can tell. If I am doing a complete respray, I expect it to last years on years! Obviously with maintenance, rust profiting, and hopefully soon I will have a garage to keep her in year round .

[Side Question]
    From my experience when one is buying a car, they always flip if it is near or over 200,000km (~125k miles). I am currently sitting at 186,000km (~116k Miles)....
    In theory, as long as I up keep the maintenance, regular oil changes, timing belt, spark plugs, rods, cam shaft, tranny flush, shocks, mounts, etc, etc.... I should be able to keep this car upwards 400K km yes? Because I really love my car and have no intentions of changing it! I plan to drop a lot on it over the next months/year.

Super Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

It's possible to have it that long, just know that suspension parts will start to fail and aside form routine mechanical maintenance that's where you should see the most parts wearing down and breaking
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

Talking Re: VDub IV Enthusiast Daily Driver

I read your post. It is very informative and helpful to me.

+ Reply to Thread