VW Jetta: Basics of Suspension Upgrading|Forum Volkswagen Bora
JettaJunkie.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Basics of Suspension Upgrading

Default Re: Basics of Suspension Upgrading

If anything I'd get strut mounts and bearings so you don't have to do it later... They're pretty cheap and you'll be taking the old ones out automatically anyway (to replace the front struts).

As far as anti-seize, I wouldn't use it on anything, and you shouldn't need protective spray.

What you might wanna pick up though is some PB Blaster from autozone/advance auto parts. Soak the nuts and bolts with it the night before you go to do the work and it'll make life so much easier.

And Noob4life - Honestly not sure, never really looked at any since I never plan to go lower than factory GLI ''low''. Might wanna talk to Ryan (DasBohan), he'd probly know!

Hidden Content Originally Posted by darksidedub Hidden Content
    come on dude really? most states in this country dont require a front plate. some states dont require an inspection sticker. new york just wants our money. i may as well leave the house with my pants down so i can make it a lil easier for this state to f**k me in the a$$.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Vixen Hidden Content
    I will fight you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

rollin deep bikerkid9069 is on a distinguished road bikerkid9069's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tangueray View Post
    I just bought coilovers, but I want to know if I should get anything else for them before installing?Like protective spray and anti seize stuff

you live in florida? if so i wouldnt worry about anti sieze. its really up north you have to worry cause of the winters/salt rusting everything... i know racelands like to sieze up
    sick of seeing corvette rims on mk4's

Senior Member Tangueray is on a distinguished road Tangueray's Avatar

Thanks boost.

Biker I live in Florida right now but in another two years ill be back in NJ
    BECAUSE RACE CAR.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JettaJunkie.com
    Advertisements

stance hopeful... aztecducky is on a distinguished road aztecducky's Avatar

so would Bilstein "Touring Car" fronts and "Heavy Duty" rears be a good combo for my '03 Jetta wagon? (i want a sportier ride and this is what i've been told is the best wagon setup)

Quote Originally Posted by aztecducky View Post
    so would Bilstein "Touring Car" fronts and "Heavy Duty" rears be a good combo for my '03 Jetta wagon? (i want a sportier ride and this is what i've been told is the best wagon setup)

Im driving a 2002 1.8t wagon too. I can tell the front bushings are going to be the first thing to change, and I will address the shocks/struts
    after that.

When I'm not driving for fun, I tend to have a pretty heavy load of tools or whatever.

wondering about your thoughts on weight distribution and ride height. I don't want to lower the car, but would be willing to lose a little up front if it helps handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
    Im driving a 2002 1.8t wagon too. I can tell the front bushings are going to be the first thing to change, and I will address the shocks/struts
    after that.

When I'm not driving for fun, I tend to have a pretty heavy load of tools or whatever.

wondering about your thoughts on weight distribution and ride height. I don't want to lower the car, but would be willing to lose a little up front if it helps handling.
    SO I found some Eibach Sport Springs for my wagon. I'm going to install them soon, and considering what shocks/struts to buy. Any thoughts on a good handling set-u that won't make my car feel too too stiff? I'm not planning on running very low profile 18's and i'm not plannin on going any lower than these springs (-1" or so)

Junior Member treedub is on a distinguished road treedub's Avatar

I have only had this car for about six months, the coilovers were put on 3 months before I bought the car along with sway bars, all front and rear bushings.
    The car handles perfect, I honestly had no idea what i've been missing. I have a tremendous amount of bounce in the rear. The front does some but not bad, the rear can sometimes bounce me out of the seat, lol, or that is how it can feel.
    I have tried the push down test and I dont feel that it is that bad. The shocks on the rear look fairly new ...
    I love this car but am also a family man and it can make for a long trip.
    any suggestions?

I will take some pics of everything tomorrow and see if I can tell what brand the coilovers and shocks are, thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-17 07.47.17.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	11323
    Last edited by treedub; 04-17-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: to add pics
    1999.5 MK4 Jetta 2.0L

Junior Member Wisco Keith is on a distinguished road Wisco Keith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoweredStandards View Post
    You'll find that most camber kits will be the same, so long as it is designated to your car. Price is going to be the biggest difference. But personally I dont think you will need one.

The rear obviously cannot be changed (for better or worse) as it is a solid beam.

When I dropped my car for the first time, which is what it looked like in my avatar picture, I had only .6 degrees of change. And since toe is what really wears tires the most, rather than camber, I think you will be fine. Not many people are putting camber kits in the fronts.

However, if I DID buy one, I would buy one from BFI, they are currently making some of the best stuff out there. I have a bunch of their products and I have no complaints at all.

I bought my GLI used, and the previous owner lowered it. So you're saying that the angle that my wheels are at can't be changed? Because after maybe 3k miles they're pretty beat up on the inside (as in I've lost probably 80% of the tread on the inner edge). The fronts aren't quite as bad, but I was hoping that something could be done so I don't have to replace tires every 10k miles.

On another subject: My front rides lower than the rear, by about 2" (from the looks of it). I was looking at replacing the suspension all the way around here in a few months as I'm pretty sure my front shocks are on their way out. Can anyone recommend a kit or point me in the direction of what I need to lower it, keep it level, and (if at all possible) not have so much angle (camber, toe, offset... whatever it's called) on my tires that it's eating them up like free cake at a weight loss convention?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking at doing it this spring as my next big mod.

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco Keith View Post
    I bought my GLI used, and the previous owner lowered it. So you're saying that the angle that my wheels are at can't be changed? Because after maybe 3k miles they're pretty beat up on the inside (as in I've lost probably 80% of the tread on the inner edge). The fronts aren't quite as bad, but I was hoping that something could be done so I don't have to replace tires every 10k miles.

On another subject: My front rides lower than the rear, by about 2" (from the looks of it). I was looking at replacing the suspension all the way around here in a few months as I'm pretty sure my front shocks are on their way out. Can anyone recommend a kit or point me in the direction of what I need to lower it, keep it level, and (if at all possible) not have so much angle (camber, toe, offset... whatever it's called) on my tires that it's eating them up like free cake at a weight loss convention?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking at doing it this spring as my next big mod.
    camber isn't based off of the struts and springs, its controlled with the ball joints, have you gotten an alignment? is the rear doing the same thing?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

Junior Member Wisco Keith is on a distinguished road Wisco Keith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skimmer0220 View Post
    camber isn't based off of the struts and springs, its controlled with the ball joints, have you gotten an alignment? is the rear doing the same thing?
    Yeah, I tried 3 different places to get the alignment checked/worked. The dealership said since I have "soft lipped rims" their equipment would eat 'em up. The other place said they don't have the right equipment to work on a VW. The third place charged me $220 to replace a control arm and say "there's nothing we can do"... and when I drove away from there I noticed my car pulled to the right like my front right tire was on the rim, the steering wheel was a full 1/2 turn to the left when the car was going forward, and I had 3 idiot lights on... needless to say i'm not going back there.

The main problem is the rear left (driver side), it's about 1.5/2 full degrees off (according to the last shop, which I believe cause the wear on it is awful. The left rear is maybe .5 degrees off.

About how much should replacing strut mounts and bearings cost if I have someone do it for me?

Hello,
    Im new here and had some questions
    I just picked up a 2002 jetta wagon 1.8t
    its got a lot of miles, ( 190k) and I was mainly looking to use it for long trips, to haul an average of 600-700lbs of product

After reading up on suspension, I see that I can replace, struts, shocks, sway bars, etc..

However my main question to those of you who are more experienced is this
    what should I replace to allow it to handle better with that given weight? pretty much everything?

thank you guys

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

honestly keep your stock suspension if you lower it to get better handling then you'll be rubbing so much more
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

no no,
    Im not trying to lower it, I just want to strengthen it, or stiffen it up to handle the extra weight..
    Yea I wouldn't lower it being that Im adding more weight, which will drop it down more then it is..

any suggestions on strengthening it to handle the extra .. 700 +/- lbs I will be traveling with>?

This was a great help. Going to work on the suspension, part by part.
    Learning the path of free expression and not bound by anyone's rules.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2