VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: VR6 Transmission: To swap or just replace ???? |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VR6 Transmission: To swap or just replace ????

Hybrid View

Junior Member Bluezmax is on a distinguished road Bluezmax's Avatar

Default VR6 Transmission: To swap or just replace ????

Hi Fellow Jetta Junkies !
    So after a while without any problems, the 01M auto trans in my 2000 Jetta VR6 blew out the differential a few weeks ago.
    This is the second 01M I've put into this car and my 3rd 01M overall (blew the diff on my other 2000 VR6 long time ago...) that fails in the exact same way. Slow leak of diff fluid, take the car on a "long trip" and end up with a dry and locked up differential.
    No shops want to take a chance at replacing the diff, just complete transmission swaps.
    It's getting harder to find 01M transmissions with the ENZ code and the VR6 bell housing.
    I'm going to post a WTB in the classifieds for a 01M with ENZ code but I'm seriously considering doing a manual swap. I've read a couple of the tutorials out there and other posts. It seems like quite an undertaking but everything else on the car is in great shape (event at 164,000 miles) and I've put quite a few parts in it so I think it would be worth the trouble if the manual gives me better gas mileage but mostly greater reliability.
    I called a couple of shops around here but everybody keeps saying that I should just sell the car and buy a manual.
    What do you guys think I should do ?
    I can get the 01M auto trans installed at a shop I know for less than $400, I just have to find a 01M with ENZ code for a decent price.
    I most probably would have to do the manual swap myself, unless a member would like to help me do it for a reasonable fee? If I was to do the manual swap, I would try to find a donor car at the junkyard and try to get as many of the parts as I need but Vr6s are pretty hard to come by down here...
    Anybody on here have some of the parts for the swap they would want to get rid of ?
    Also, Which manual transmission code would I need? I believe it would be an 02J but which 3 letter code fits a 12V VR6 AFP motor ?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated !
    Max

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Default Re: VR6 Transmission: To swap or just replace ????

Quote Originally Posted by Bluezmax View Post
    Hi Fellow Jetta Junkies !
    So after a while without any problems, the 01M auto trans in my 2000 Jetta VR6 blew out the differential a few weeks ago.
    This is the second 01M I've put into this car and my 3rd 01M overall (blew the diff on my other 2000 VR6 long time ago...) that fails in the exact same way. Slow leak of diff fluid, take the car on a "long trip" and end up with a dry and locked up differential.
    No shops want to take a chance at replacing the diff, just complete transmission swaps.
    It's getting harder to find 01M transmissions with the ENZ code and the VR6 bell housing.
    I'm going to post a WTB in the classifieds for a 01M with ENZ code but I'm seriously considering doing a manual swap. I've read a couple of the tutorials out there and other posts. It seems like quite an undertaking but everything else on the car is in great shape (event at 164,000 miles) and I've put quite a few parts in it so I think it would be worth the trouble if the manual gives me better gas mileage but mostly greater reliability.
    I called a couple of shops around here but everybody keeps saying that I should just sell the car and buy a manual.
    What do you guys think I should do ?
    I can get the 01M auto trans installed at a shop I know for less than $400, I just have to find a 01M with ENZ code for a decent price.
    I most probably would have to do the manual swap myself, unless a member would like to help me do it for a reasonable fee? If I was to do the manual swap, I would try to find a donor car at the junkyard and try to get as many of the parts as I need but Vr6s are pretty hard to come by down here...
    Anybody on here have some of the parts for the swap they would want to get rid of ?
    Also, Which manual transmission code would I need? I believe it would be an 02J but which 3 letter code fits a 12V VR6 AFP motor ?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated !
    Max
    Ok so lots of things on this one, so first off $400 for a trans swap isn't bad at all. You could try a reman trans, I have used Jasper in the past but they may not have something that far back. As far as a swap youd need an 02J out of a VR6, the Vr6 trans from a BDF would be a different trans code and be a 6 speed. For a swap you will need axles, gearbox and ECU with an immobilizer delete. Typically you can get those second hand with a tune. May be able to find a donor with a blown motor or what not. What do you seem to be doing to transitions to blow them up?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

+ Reply to Thread