VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: 2001/2004 Jetta wolfsburg/gli starting problems |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001/2004 Jetta wolfsburg/gli starting problems

Default 2001/2004 Jetta wolfsburg/gli starting problems

Hey what’s up guys! Just joined this forum because I need some help, I just did a complete junkyard motor swap on my 2001 wolfsburg Jetta, i picked up this Wolfsburg with a slipped timing belt for $150, went to the local junkyard and found a semi low mile MK4 Jetta gli engine in a wrecked car, took it out and swapped it into my car, anyway, I got done with the swap the car started up first try and then I killed it to finish putting the rest of the car together, after I put it together, I go to start it again and Nothing, I changed the crank sensor, nothing, unplugged and plugged in different connections like the camshaft sensor and other connections that would cause a no start, nothing, tried starting fluid, it almost started, but still didn’t start, unplugged battery for 10 seconds , nothing, unplugged 428 relay in the engine bay, nothing, clean MAF, nothing, THEN, I read on a forum something about checking the fuses in the car that show a check engine light on the translation card, so I checked all of them, and none of them were blown, but Then, it starts! Kill it, starts again! So I take the car to the car wash, won’t start, unplug the #34 and 45 fuses, I think those were the ones at least, and boom starts again! So I think it’s related to whatever connects to these fuses, I’ve never seen a problem like this before so I am pretty much stumped! Also EPC light keeps coming on! ALSO when it wouldn’t start I plugged a OBD2 in, and P0170 came up, fuel trim bank 1, which made sense to me because of it almost starting on starting fluid, I checked that fuel was coming from pump, and it was, checked the injectors and I actually don’t think they were firing, so I checked everything related to the injectors. But the thing that fixed it was unplugging and plugging those fuses in. I really want to know what this problem is so it doesn’t evolve later.

Default Re: 2001/2004 Jetta wolfsburg/gli starting problems

Quote Originally Posted by myalaska4 View Post
    Hey what’s up guys! Just joined this forum because I need some help, I just did a complete junkyard motor swap on my 2001 wolfsburg Jetta, i picked up this Wolfsburg with a slipped timing belt for $150, went to the local junkyard and found a semi low mile MK4 Jetta gli engine in a wrecked car, took it out and swapped it into my car, anyway, I got done with the swap the car started up first try and then I killed it to finish putting the rest of the car together, after I put it together, I go to start it again and Nothing, I changed the crank sensor, nothing, unplugged and plugged in different connections like the camshaft sensor and other connections that would cause a no start, nothing, tried starting fluid, it almost started, but still didn’t start, unplugged battery for 10 seconds , nothing, unplugged 428 relay in the engine bay, nothing, clean MAF, nothing, THEN, I read on a forum something about checking the fuses in the car that show a check engine light on the translation card, so I checked all of them, and none of them were blown, but Then, it starts! Kill it, starts again! So I take the car to the car wash, won’t start, unplug the #34 and 45 fuses, I think those were the ones at least, and boom starts again! So I think it’s related to whatever connects to these fuses, I’ve never seen a problem like this before so I am pretty much stumped! Also EPC light keeps coming on! ALSO when it wouldn’t start I plugged a OBD2 in, and P0170 came up, fuel trim bank 1, which made sense to me because of it almost starting on starting fluid, I checked that fuel was coming from pump, and it was, checked the injectors and I actually don’t think they were firing, so I checked everything related to the injectors. But the thing that fixed it was unplugging and plugging those fuses in. I really want to know what this problem is so it doesn’t evolve later.
    Found the problem, replaced camshaft sensor AND crankshaft sensor, been driving the car around for a couple of days and haven’t had any further problems!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread