VW Jetta MKIV/MK4: MK4 1.8T Engine Replacement Question |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MK4 1.8T Engine Replacement Question

Default MK4 1.8T Engine Replacement Question

I've pulled many engines over the years (primarily straight 6 or V but never this particular one.

I've watched several videos and it appears straight forward, however, my one question is can the engine be pulled leaving the A/T in place or do you have to pull them together?

Curious because if I don't have to pull the A/T and can leave it in place I imagine it would save a good deal of time. I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Cheers

Default Re: MK4 1.8T Engine Replacement Question

Get an AWP. It's the 180hp version. I never really had issue with oil consumption. Like you mentioned do your timing belt, and water pump. There are some plastic coolant parts that break and small things like that but people are running their 1.8ts well beyond 200k miles these days with simple maintenance and oil changes.

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

wasn't really related to the question at hand but ok...

The engine and trans need to be pulled together, it may appear to be quicker not doing the trans but it is in fact easier and quicker pulling them together. I believe it would just be a matter of axles and a harness pulling them together. Axles on these are super easy to pull and a wiring harness isn't that much harder either
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

Quote Originally Posted by Skimmer0220 View Post
    wasn't really related to the question at hand but ok...

The engine and trans need to be pulled together, it may appear to be quicker not doing the trans but it is in fact easier and quicker pulling them together. I believe it would just be a matter of axles and a harness pulling them together. Axles on these are super easy to pull and a wiring harness isn't that much harder either
    Thanks for the response. In the end, I pulled them together. Primarily, because I couldn't find much documentation on the 09A A/T. Plenty of info available for the manual trans.

After pulling it I realized there was an access port at the back of the engine to disconnect the flexplate from the torque converter. If I knew that ahead of time I think the engine could be easily pulled leaving the A/T in place.

That being said, you are correct that it isn't a significantly bigger job to pull them together. Biggest pain for me was the axle bolts as my triple square sockets were not stubby and ran into the CV boot (having the right tools always makes the job easier).

Without having done this job previously and of course running into every possible problem (lots of broken bolts that had to be extracted) I was still able to pull the engine in less than 6hrs. Roughly, 6hrs to transfer all the auxiliary parts from the old engine block to the new one again with lots of problems. Finally, about 6hrs to reinstall.

That was all done on my own. Having someone to help would likely significantly reduce those times.

The rebuilt engine from aaaengine.com was overall great - minor issues that were easily resolved. Purs like a kitten now.

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wlpdrpat View Post
    Thanks for the response. In the end, I pulled them together. Primarily, because I couldn't find much documentation on the 09A A/T. Plenty of info available for the manual trans.

After pulling it I realized there was an access port at the back of the engine to disconnect the flexplate from the torque converter. If I knew that ahead of time I think the engine could be easily pulled leaving the A/T in place.

That being said, you are correct that it isn't a significantly bigger job to pull them together. Biggest pain for me was the axle bolts as my triple square sockets were not stubby and ran into the CV boot (having the right tools always makes the job easier).

Without having done this job previously and of course running into every possible problem (lots of broken bolts that had to be extracted) I was still able to pull the engine in less than 6hrs. Roughly, 6hrs to transfer all the auxiliary parts from the old engine block to the new one again with lots of problems. Finally, about 6hrs to reinstall.

That was all done on my own. Having someone to help would likely significantly reduce those times.

The rebuilt engine from aaaengine.com was overall great - minor issues that were easily resolved. Purs like a kitten now.
    having the right triple square size does help a lot. Not exactly the "correct size" but depth, I belive I pull mine with Mac triple squares either those or some stubby Matco ones do the job as well.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

+ Reply to Thread