VW Jetta MKV: Very loud hum gets louder the faster I go |Volkswagen Bora
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very loud hum gets louder the faster I go

Default Very loud hum gets louder the faster I go

I have a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 sedan with automatic transmission. When I'm driving, at around 35/40mph I can hear a loud hum. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side front. It gets louder and louder and then gets quieter around 70. It's pretty loud and really annoying. I've seen that it could be a bad wheel bearing, but I just wanted to check to see if it could possibly be something else before I go out and buy a new wheel bearing. Any tips on changing a wheel bearing? Thanks!

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Default Re: Very loud hum gets louder the faster I go

sounds like a wheel bearing, not sure if you'll be able to do it yourself without specialty tools. The mk 5's I believe are still press-in bearings, I don't believe they went to bolt in until mk6's.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Gargamelmk2 Hidden Content
    Its very windy....accidentally pissed on it.....I have no regrets

I forgot to mention. I jacked up the car and wiggled the drivers side front tire. There was no movement/play. I looked under the car and didn't see any other issues except an oil leak.

It's pretty bumpy on the driver's side when I get up to 40 mph. I can feel it in my feet on the drivers side floor. Is this a common symptom of a bad wheel bearing?

Jetta Junkie Moderator Skimmer0220 is on a distinguished road Skimmer0220's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joenobodyyet View Post
    It's pretty bumpy on the driver's side when I get up to 40 mph. I can feel it in my feet on the drivers side floor. Is this a common symptom of a bad wheel bearing?
    Yes it sounds like typical wheel bearing symptoms. When a bearing goes bad it doesn't always have play as well as noise however anytime you have a noise wheel bearing it is unsafe and should be replaced asap

I'm having a hard time spinning the right tire but i can hear a faint fan noise starting when i spin it as far as i go. The left tire has a hard time spinning with the car in neutral it seems the brake's slightly hitting it. I think i'll replace both bearings as the replacement part doesn't seem to break the bank.

Anyone recommend aftermarket brands for wheel hub bearings? I'm on rockauto and I see Ultra-Power, Power Stop, SKP, and Centric all for $30-$35. Obviously I don't want to get a part that will fall off in 5,000 miles, but I don't need an expensive part that will last for 20 years. I plan on getting rid of this car sooner than later.

Fag bearings are good, It's a OEM quality replacement. Yes they are a little pricier but it's a pretty important part. I've put 2 Fag bearings on my car

+ Reply to Thread